Candidates will receive an email confirmation when submitting their application online. However, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. Please allow one (1) working day from the time you send in your application to receive an email confirmation.
LIBRARY - INFORMATION SERVICES
REFERENCE ASSISTANT (P3175)
Deadline: July 16, 2021
This posting represents a full-time position, working 35 hours/week. Works weekends, evenings and holidays, as scheduled. This position is based at the Webster Library on the SGW campus.
Reporting to the Head, Information Services and under the supervision of the Information Services Supervisor, the incumbent performs tasks of a complex nature associated with collection development, reference (in-person and online) and library instruction, with functional guidance from the Librarians.
- Provide user assistance at the Information Desks and in the Information Services Office: answer directional and information questions made in person, by phone or online (chat or email) and refer questions to the appropriate librarian.
- Encourage users to abide by the Library Code of Conduct; report problems to Concordia Security as needed.
- Perform bibliographic checking and searching of online library catalogues, specialized collections, electronic and print catalogues of publishers and vendors.
- Provide assistance, as needed, to Librarians with collection development activities.
- Assist Librarians in carrying out tasks related to special projects.
- Assist with the maintenance of the Reference collection according to established procedures and assist library users on the use of equipment.
- Perform clerical tasks associated with Information Services.
- Participate in Library and/or University committee work.
- Diploma of Collegial Studies in Information and Library Technologies.
- Good knowledge (Level 4) of spoken and written English; basic knowledge (Level 3) of spoken French, fluency preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal skills aptitude for and interest in service-oriented work, ability to handle queries and complaints with courtesy, tact and good judgment.
- Ability to interpret policies and solve problems.
- Ability to organize work, establish priorities and perform clerical duties with special attention to accuracy, details and deadlines; ability to work with minimum supervision.
- Ability to work cooperatively with supervisors and other staff members.
- Basic knowledge of Word and Excel. Knowledge of PowerPoint is an asset.
- Good knowledge (Intermediate level) of Internet navigation skills.
- Good knowledge of Outlook and Windows and of managing files in a Windows environment.
- Demonstrated ability to search for and interpret bibliographic records in a variety of online platforms is required.
- Ability to learn new procedures and technologies and adapt to changing technologies.
- Physical ability as attested by successful completion of medical evaluation to the University’s satisfaction. (e.g.: to lift, carry and move, without assistance, up to 4.5 kg (10lbs).
$28.12 - $33.84 per hour
Interested applicants must submit a curriculum vitae with a covering letter by July 16, 2021. Please click on the How to Apply button below for further instructions.
IMPORTANT: The language and computer skills of short-listed candidates will be tested.