Candidates will receive an email confirmation when submitting their application online. However, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. Please allow one (1) working day from the time you send in your application to receive an email confirmation.
SERVICE ASSISTANT (P1882)
Deadline: March 5, 2020
Reporting to the Department Administrator, the incumbent provides frontline service and clerical functions for the Department of Economics. He/she provides information and assists the public regarding departmental regulations and procedures, directs them to the appropriate contact, and assists members of the Department
- Answering in person, e-mail and telephone inquiries for routine information concerning the department and its academic programs; re-directing inquiries as appropriate to academic advisors/program directors/program assistants.
- Maintain the reception area and surrounding areas; reorganize mailboxes annually, post advisor’s schedules, notify department members of upcoming events and display announcements of seminars, research proposals and defenses.
- Responsible for sorting and distributing mail to faculty and staff in the department.
- Responsible for providing general information for student request inquiries; distributing forms to students, informing students on procedure and forwarding completed requests to the Undergraduate Program Assistant.
- Responsible for submission and dissemination of class cancellation information.
- Maintain up-to-date lists for the department (Guest Lectures, Supplies, Photocopier codes, etc.); place various service calls, as required.
- Responsible for ordering and monitoring stationary supplies, paper and toner for the department.
- Responsible for the booking of the department seminar and conference rooms; updating of on-line room calendars.
- Responsible for photocopy account codes for faculty and staff.
- Maintain faculty members’ office hours and post schedule.
- Collect course outlines from faculty members and maintain binder.
- Responsible for the department’s water filter; pay related charges
- Assist the undergraduate and graduate program assistants during advising sessions and peak periods; retrieve statistics from SIS; print student records from SIS.
- Responsible for arranging room and audiovisual bookings for class related bookings (make-up days, examinations, etc.)
- Responsible for submission of key requests for the department: preparation and submission to appropriate office.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Department Administrator in support of the unit.
- Attestation of College Studies (ACS) in office technology or a related field and two to four years of secretarial experience in an office setting.
- Experience working in a front line position in the university environment and, particularly, in an academic department.
- Good knowledge (Level 4) of spoken and written English in order to respond to general enquiries and compose routine correspondence and basic knowledge (Level 3) of spoken French in order to respond to requests for information.
- Good knowledge (Intermediate Level) of Word (to format documents and do mail merges) and Excel (to create and format spreadsheets.
- Knowledge of the Student Information System (SIS) desirable.
- Exceptional organizational skills: ability to prioritize tasks and to handle a high volume of inquiries in a front-line position.
- Keen attention to details.
- Highly developed interpersonal skills with an aptitude to work in a service-oriented environment as both a member of a team and independently.
- Knowledge of academic regulations and deadlines as they apply to Arts and Science and/or knowledge of the university policies and procedures an asset.
*Please note this is a Pay Equity designated position PE261-14A andthat the associated salary range is $25.27 to $30.00 per hour
Interested applicants must submit a curriculum vitae with a covering letter by March 5, 2020. Please click on the How to Apply button below for further instructions.
IMPORTANT: The language and computer skills of short-listed candidates will be tested.
Concordia University is committed to Employment Equity and encourages applications from women, Aboriginal Peoples, visible minorities, ethnic minorities, and persons with disabilities.
- Working at Concordia
- Current opportunities
- Employment equity
- Immigration guide for faculty
- Current opportunities