Candidates will receive an email confirmation when submitting their application online. However, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. Please allow one (1) working day from the time you send in your application to receive an email confirmation.
DEPARTMENT ADMINISTRATOR (P2114A)
Deadline: January 21, 2021
Reporting to the Department Chair, the incumbent ensures the efficient operation of the daily functions of the Department of Political Science, manages the financial and human resources, supervises core administrative operations and resolves any major problems which may arise. He/she is responsible for ensuring departmental alignment with university policies and practices in the areas of financial management, labour relations, information management and physical resources.
- Initiate, establish and implement policies and procedures regarding non-academic staff, including supervising, hiring, training, disciplining; coordinating workloads, vacations, and absences.
- Manage the daily operation of the department; planning, monitoring and initiating improvements to department operational policies and practices; work with and inform the Chair of relevant issues and maintain department records.
- Manage department operating budget including Teaching Assistant budget, Faculty Development Funds, and Endowment Funds; approve and authorize all operational budget expenditures; prepare reports.
- Organize departmental faculty meetings; transcribe and maintain records of minutes; organize other department meetings, conferences, and special events; disseminate administrative and academic materials on behalf of the Chair.
- Develop annual department course schedule in conjunction with the Chair; coordinate program schedules, advise the Chair on course offerings required for academic programs, enter undergraduate course data on SIS, assign, manage and maintain full-time faculty workloads in FRIS, coordinate full-time remissions, coordinate and maintain records of yearly course schedule.
- Coordinate full-time hiring, including advertising, recruitment activities, collecting and compiling documents for dossiers, preparing and sending out appropriate correspondence, contacting short-listed candidates, arranging interview schedules, preparing submission of recommended dossiers to the Department Hiring Committee, the Department Personnel Committee and to the Dean.
- Administer Concordia University Faculty Agreement (CUFA), Concordia University Part-time Faculty Agreement (CUPFA) and Teaching and Research Assistant Public Service Alliance of Canada (TRAC) Collective Agreements; organize and coordinate the hiring of all part-time (regular and reserve) faculty and serve as the resource spokesperson on the Part-time Hiring Committee (PTHC).
- Monitor enrolment and admission quotas and provide recommendations as to which courses should be added, maintained or cancelled.
- Manage physical facilities including recommendations of equipment purchases and replacements, space and office assignments; coordinate access privileges, order and distribute keys.
- Organize, coordinate, and supervise major projects, relocation, space assignments and special events.
- Advise and assist faculty, staff, and students regarding university and departmental policies and procedures.
- Bachelor’s degree and four to seven years of related experience, including at least two years in a supervisory role.
- Strong planning, organizational and problem-solving skills and the ability to set priorities.
- Proven ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Good knowledge of spoken and written English (Level 4) to write and prepare reports, policies and procedures as well as communicate effectively with students, faculty and staff. Basic knowledge (Level 3) of spoken and written French.
- Good knowledge (Intermediate Level) of Word and Excel.
- Demonstrated communication and interpersonal skills with ability to work independently as well as with a team.
- Demonstrated exceptional communication and interpersonal skills with ability to work independently as well as in a team; demonstrated success in developing productive relationships with faculty and colleagues.
- Evidence of decision-making skills, ability to be discreet and deal with highly confidential matters.
- Exceptional organizational skills, ability to set and meet deadlines.
- Ability to take and transcribe minutes.
* Please note this is a Pay Equity designated position PE538-51A and that the associated salary range is $89,616.00 to $103,935.00 per annum
Interested applicants must submit a curriculum vitae with a covering letter by January 21, 2021. Please click on the How to Apply button below for further instructions.
IMPORTANT: The language and computer skills of short-listed candidates will be tested.
Concordia University is committed to Employment Equity and encourages applications from women, Aboriginal Peoples, visible minorities, ethnic minorities, and persons with disabilities.
- Working at Concordia
- Current opportunities
- Employment equity
- Immigration guide for faculty
- Current opportunities