Candidates will receive an email confirmation when submitting their application online. However, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. Please allow one (1) working day from the time you send in your application to receive an email confirmation.
CHEMISTRY AND BIOCHEMISTRY
ASSISTANT TO THE CHAIRPERSON (P2200B)
Deadline: February 21, 2020
This position represents a temporary leave replacement effective until January 31, 2021.
Reporting to the Chair, the incumbent serves as an academic and administrative resource person for the Chair, faculty, office and other staff, and students, providing support particularly in the area of front-line student advising as well as for the department recruitment and promotion initiatives.
- Provide administrative support, schedule meetings and appointments, and maintain the Chair’s agenda.
- Prepare correspondence for the Chair and the Department as required; attend faculty and Department meetings and take accurate minutes.
- Ensure proper administration of university policies and procedures within the Department.
- Advise students on academic programs and requirements; assist students with course selection, registration, and registration procedures.
- Coordinate all aspects in regard to the final examination schedule and assist with the grade administration and course evaluation.
- Coordinate and prepare Faculty Personnel dossiers in regard to faculty and enrolment statistics and projections; assist with department recruitment and promotion initiatives.
- Provide administrative support for tenure track faculty hiring and other full-time faculty positions, ensuring compliance with the CUFA and CUPFA collective agreements.
- Assist with the preparation of undergraduate and graduate class schedules; prepare final timetable for submission.
- Maintain working relationship with publishing house representatives; ensure that all teaching materials are ordered on time; assist faculty and staff with the preparation of scientific academic teaching materials.
- Monitor budget for office supplies and printing; order office supplies.
- Functionally supervise support staff; prioritize departmental workloads.
- Maintain the departmental web site and ensure all information is current and up-to-date.
- Diploma of Collegial Studies (three year professional DEC) in a field related to the primary responsibilities and two to four years of relevant experience in a university environment; at least two years of work experience with front-line student advising.
- Good knowledge (Level 4) of spoken and written English in order to communicate effectively with staff, students, and external agencies and to write reports and correspondence; basic knowledge (Level 3) of spoken French in order to provide general information.
- Good knowledge (Intermediate Level) of Word (to prepare correspondence, documents, minutes), of Excel (to create and update spreadsheets), of PowerPoint (to create and update presentations), and of Access (to create databases and tables); familiarity with the student information system highly desirable.
- Working knowledge of scientific terminology.
- Knowledge of University policies and academic policies and procedures highly desirable.
- Superior communication, organizational, and decision-making skills; excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated pro-active attitude.
- Attention to detail and ability to work autonomously as well as part of a team.
*Please note this is a Pay Equity designated position PE160-14A and that the associated salary range is $31.56 – $37.95 per hour
Interested applicants must submit a curriculum vitae with a covering letter by February 21, 2020. Please click on the How to Apply button below for further instructions.
IMPORTANT: The language and computer skills of short-listed candidates will be tested.
Concordia University is committed to Employment Equity and encourages applications from women, Aboriginal Peoples, visible minorities, ethnic minorities, and persons with disabilities.
- Working at Concordia
- Current opportunities
- Employment equity
- Immigration guide for faculty
- Current opportunities