Candidates will receive an email confirmation when submitting their application online. However, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. Please allow one (1) working day from the time you send in your application to receive an email confirmation.
UNIVERSITY COMMUNICATIONS SERVICES (UCS)
COMMUNICATIONS ADVISOR – JOHN MOLSON SCHOOL OF BUSINESS (JMSB) (P1688)
Deadline: January 10, 2020
This posting represents a temporary leave replacement effective until February 5, 2021.
Reporting to the Director, Strategic Communications and has a dotted line reporting relationship to the Dean of JMSB, the incumbent contributes to the creation and execution of communications projects in print, online and social media, writes articles, and builds and maintains effective relationships. He/she enhances the visibility of JMSB and its faculty to key internal and external constituencies.
- Plan, develop and implement external communications strategies to enhance the profile and reputation of JMSB.
- Act as liaison in dealing with the media and other influencers by handling and responding to requests on timely topics, and identifying the Faculty subject expert; arrange interviews and prepare background information for subject experts, and coach subject experts on interview techniques and how to communicate with the media.
- Organize and coordinate media events such as press conferences. All of these activities are in cooperation with UCS.
- Prepare news / research releases and information for the media, and distribute information by hard copy or electronically; draft news briefs such as appointment notices, research awards and other items of general interest for distribution to external media.
- Plan, develop and implement internal communications strategy that will promote collegiality and keep all internal stakeholders (JMSB’s and Concordia’s faculty and staff; JMSB’s Faculty Advisory Board, the President, Senior Administrators, Senate and the Board of Governors) informed of individual and collective successes of the JMSB.
- Identify and engage with key influencers and media representatives relevant to the Faculty.
- Create, lead, and execute a social media strategy for JMSB.
- Make updates to the JMSB website as per client, supervisor, and UCS requests, and in a proactive manner in line with annual communications plan / High Impact Plan.
- Write news stories and articles for Concordia’s NOW e-newsletter and other print and web publications.
- Plan, develop and coordinate JMSB’s publications such as the JMSB Mag including the creation of content.
- Prepare and approve all communications for the Dean, such as speeches, press releases and other official JMSB communications; organizes preparatory material for media interviews.
- Plan, coordinate and supervise the communications aspects of events that promote and enhance JMSB’s public profile.
- Pursue opportunities that will translate into media coverage in both official languages; liaise with relevant UCS teams.
- Act as UCS representative at institutional events such as convocation, able to relay information on any unforeseen circumstances.
- Perform other duties as directed by the Dean, and by the Director, Strategic Communications, UCS.
- Bachelor in Communications, Journalism, English, Marketing, or a related field, with two to four years of experience in communications.
- Knowledge/familiarity with business research desirable.
- In-depth knowledge of JMSB and of Concordia University is an asset.
- Very good knowledge (Level 5) of written and spoken English and French, in order to prepare press releases, speeches and other official communication in both official languages.
- Demonstrated skills in interviewing, writing, editing, and proofreading.
- Full understanding of social media platforms.
- Good knowledge (Intermediate Level) of Word (able to do mail merges), Excel (able to create graphics using data in spreadsheets and incorporate graphics into other programs), and PowerPoint (able to create templates) in a Windows environment.
- Superior communications, writing and editing skills; strong interpersonal skills and ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- In-depth knowledge of educational environment with particular emphasis on business education.
- Demonstrated organizational and project-management skills, with track record for meeting tight deadlines, providing proactive responses, and performing well under pressure.
- Excellent problem-solving skills; developed sense of innovation and entrepreneurship.
- Ability to work outside normal working hours when required.
$70,939.46- $84,736.95 per annum
Interested applicants must submit a curriculum vitae with a covering letter by January 10, 2020. Please click on the How to Apply button below for further instructions.
IMPORTANT: The language and computer skills of short-listed candidates will be tested.
Concordia University is committed to Employment Equity and encourages applications from women, Aboriginal Peoples, visible minorities, ethnic minorities, and persons with disabilities.
- Working at Concordia
- Current opportunities
- Employment equity
- Immigration guide for faculty
- Current opportunities