Candidates will receive an email confirmation when submitting their application online. However, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. Please allow one (1) working day from the time you send in your application to receive an email confirmation.
INSTRUCTIONAL AND INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY SERVICES (IITS)
SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR, INTERMEDIATE (P4284B)
Deadline: June 22, 2021
Reporting to the Manager, Infrastructure Services, the incumbent works as part of a team to deploy and support IT systems and services ensuring that these systems are secure, reliable and adhere to all relevant institutional standards.
- Resolve server and service problems coming from the University community and provide effective remedies.
- Implement firmware, operating system and application updates and upgrades, including applying patches.
- Ensure smooth operation of the systems, including monitoring and tuning system performance.
- Provide guidance and training to other IT support staff (e.g. Service Desk)
- Maintain and support in-house systems.
- Maintain awareness of server and other infrastructure technology and software. Recommend assimilation of potentially useful products or services into supported product line.
- Install new server and infrastructure hardware and software; ensure systems are secure and reliable and collaborate with clients to define and implement operational procedures (maintenance windows, backup schedules, monitoring software).
- Evaluate users’ current hardware and software implementations and recommend appropriate improvements.
- Assist in the selection and purchase of server and infrastructure hardware and software.
- Assist in producing documentation.
- Undertake other tasks as required by the Manager.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or in a related field and two to four years of relevant experience.
- Excellent knowledge of and experience installing, configuring, optimizing and securing server systems such as Linux (RHEL), Microsoft Windows Server, Microsoft IIS, Apache Web Server.
- Knowledge of Cisco UCS server platform desirable.
- Excellent knowledge of and experience working with authentication, communications and collaboration systems such as Microsoft Exchange Online, Microsoft Teams and Microsoft Active Directory. Excellent knowledge of and working experience with network protocols (e.g. DHCP, DNS).
- Experience working within ITIL (or equivalent) framework (Incident Management Change Management, Release & Deploy Management, Problem Management). ITIL Certification, desirable.
- Excellent knowledge of and experience working with VMware or other server virtualization platforms.
- Knowledge and experience with SAN/NAS technology (NetApps systems preferred) highly desirable.
- Experience working with network devices as well as server and PC hardware (e.g. RAM memory, disks).
- Knowledge and experience with database systems (Postgres, MySQL, MS SQL and Oracle) and experience working with HTML and web-based programming assets.
- Good knowledge (Level 4) of spoken English to give and understand detailed explanations and descriptions and basic knowledge (Level 3) of written English to prepare short and routine correspondence.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving capabilities, with highly developed interpersonal and communication skills. Dedicated to providing exemplary customer service.
$74,676.27 - $89,200.55 per annum
Interested applicants must submit a curriculum vitae with a covering letter by June 22, 2021. Please click on the How to Apply button below for further instructions.
IMPORTANT: The language and computer skills of short-listed candidates will be tested.