Candidates will receive an email confirmation when submitting their application online. However, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. Please allow one (1) working day from the time you send in your application to receive an email confirmation.
OFFICE OF RESEARCH
SENIOR SPECIALIST, INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY (P2877A)
Deadline: May 6, 2021
This posting represents a replacement contract until November 17, 2023.
Reporting to the Director, Research Partnerships and Innovation, the incumbent will manage and promote Concordia’s intellectual property portfolio, and negotiate, draft, and review research agreements. They will provide support and guidance to Concordia researchers in all aspects of contract research funding and Intellectual Property process management.
- Manage all procedures necessary to protect and/or promote Concordia Intellectual Property within existing framework; ensure compliance with external policies and third-party obligations.
- Collaborate with external commercialization partners and monitor progress of Intellectual Property files assigned to external agents for protection and commercialization; implement actions required to ensure timelines are respected. Identify third party interest and market Concordia developed Intellectual Property as appropriate.
- Negotiate, draft and review research agreements with third party industry/government sponsors. In consultation with the Director, assess appropriateness of the terms and conditions of research agreements with particular focus on: ensuring academic freedom; limiting University’s exposure to risk in such relationships; assessing and promoting compliance with University, government and third party research policies and procedures with particular focus on: overhead rates, human research ethics, animal care, bio-safety, and controlled goods regulations.
- Effectively communicate with faculty members, external research partners, and other related internal units, such as Research Funds and Finance, to resolve emergent issues related to the conduct of work governed by research agreements and facilitate compliance with contractual terms.
- Market Concordia’s research capacity; identify and match Concordia researchers with industry/government/private sponsored contract research opportunities. Initiate and facilitate relationships between faculty members and these third-party sponsors.
- Develop faculty outreach and education initiatives aimed at sensitizing researchers to sponsored contract research framework and policies, and Intellectual Property management practices and processes.
- Keep current with faculty research developments and activities at Concordia in order to facilitate the identification and disclosure of Intellectual Property. Assist with all procedures necessary to protect and/or promote Concordia Intellectual Property and manage responsibilities as assigned by the Director.
- Assist Director in developing and implementing strategies to optimize sponsored contract research revenue and disclosures of invention.
- Other duties in support of the unit.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a field relevant to the primary responsibilities and four to seven years of pertinent work experience.
- Legal background, desirable.
- Knowledge of industry research funding environment, government research programs and technology transfer strategies and practices.
- Very good knowledge (level 5) spoken and written English and good knowledge (level 4) of spoken and written French.
- Basic knowledge of Word and Excel.
- Excellent organizational, communication, interpersonal and negotiating skills.
- Proven ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated pro-active attitude and problem-solving skills.
- Customer-service oriented.
$78, 948.68 - $94, 307.60 per annum
Interested applicants must submit a curriculum vitae with a covering letter by May 6, 2021. Please click on the How to Apply button below for further instructions.
IMPORTANT: The language and computer skills of short-listed candidates will be tested.