Candidates will receive an email confirmation when submitting their application online. However, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. Please allow one (1) working day from the time you send in your application to receive an email confirmation.
ACCOUNTANT, EXTERNAL REPORTING (C4675)
Deadline: October 3, 2019
This posting represents a contract position effective until December 31, 2021.
Reporting to the Director, Accounting Services, the incumbent is responsible for preparing important components of external financial reports, including, but not limited to, government reports, as well as assisting in reporting requirements of internal University units. He/she contributes accounting, real property tax filings and analytical expertise to year-end tasks, such as the auditor’s file and the financial statements, and is responsible for efficient and effective accounting records as required to support the responsibilities of the General Accounting unit.
- Act as a resource person for accounting queries coming from the University as well as tax related queries coming from the University and forward complex questions to the Director.
- Plan and prepare the University salary data to complete both the SIFU and the Bill 95 report in line with MEES published guidelines.
- Participate in the year-end audit process by preparing required information for external audit purposes (Salary portion of Bill 95 – Etat du Traitement).
- Plan and prepare the Bill 95 non-audited expense reimbursements for senior executives of the University.
- Participate in the year-end audit process to support the annual deadlines within the General Accounting Department by contributing to the finalization of the financial reports (analysis for yearend lead sheets, analysis for internal controls, as required by the provincial and federal governments).
- Participate and help in the planning of year-end duties such as the production of the external auditor’s file and preparation of financial statements in accordance with GAAP rules. Produce year-end audit files for fixed assets.
- Assist the Director of Accounting Services on real property tax filings and land title analysis, as needed, to optimize GST/QST opportunities.
- Identify areas for improvements and make recommendations to the Director of Accounting Services on appropriate corrective actions and follow up on decisions.
- Participate in the establishment of guidelines and procedures in conjunction with the Director and/or Business Process Office.
- Provide ad-hoc analysis of revenues and expenses, ensuring that the account coding is accurate. Provide other analytical reviews as required on special projects.
- Research, analyze, and recommend new procedures to improve the production of financial reports.
- Respond to the needs of the University’s units requiring specialized reports or assistance in preparing useful reports.
- Act as a resource to calculate cost analysis and HR mandates for labour negotiations. Liaise with Planning and Budgets office for year-end salary accrual purposes.
- Undertake other tasks as required by the Director of Accounting Services.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or a Bachelor of Commerce with a major in Accounting and two to four years of related experience in accounting, including experience preparing provincial and federal tax reports.
- Professional accounting designation (CPA).
- Knowledge of tax regulations regarding GST / QST rebates.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and provincial and federal government tax requirements.
- Good knowledge (Level 4) of spoken and written English and French.
- Advanced knowledge of Excel (spreadsheets, databases) and good knowledge (Intermediate level) of MS Word and Access.
- Knowledge of financial systems.
- Exceptional analytical and research skills, as well as ability to synthesize large volumes of data.
- Excellent organizational skills; multitasker who can prioritize work and manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Highly developed interpersonal skills with the ability to work autonomously or be part of a team.
- Availability to work late during peak periods.
$76,831.00 - $91,763.00 per annum
Interested applicants must submit a curriculum vitae with a covering letter by October 3, 2019. Please click on the How to Apply button below for further instructions.
IMPORTANT: The language and computer skills of short-listed candidates will be tested.
Concordia University is committed to Employment Equity and encourages applications from women, Aboriginal Peoples, visible minorities, ethnic minorities, and persons with disabilities.
- Working at Concordia
- Current opportunities
- Employment equity
- Immigration guide for faculty
- Current opportunities