Candidates will receive an email confirmation when submitting their application online. However, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. Please allow one (1) working day from the time you send in your application to receive an email confirmation.
PAYROLL ASSISTANT (P5872)
Deadline: October 8, 2019
Reporting to the Manager, Payroll, the incumbent provides consulting expertise and high level support and services to the University community and outside agencies, in the area of payroll, in response to employee needs and maximizes understanding through effective communication and administration. He/she assesses and resolves administrative problems, and when appropriate, informs supervisor and formulates recommendations.
- Verify completeness and accuracy of documentation relating to terms of employment for all University personnel.
- Collect, record, and approve information for the production of the employee payroll in the University’s Human Resources Information System.
- Perform complex calculations, corrections and data entry pursuant to changes in salary or status. Perform calculations in order to establish statutory taxes, retroactivity, benefits, vacation pay, etc.
- Ensure accurate completion of forms in compliance with University and government guidelines, tax laws as well as accounting and reporting policies and procedures. Maintain up-to-date knowledge of these matters and give explanations to University administration, staff, students, and government agencies.
- Replace HR receptionist during breaks and lunch hours on a daily basis, and other absences as needed.
- Review accuracy of employee's earnings history at time of termination. Prepare record of employment.
- Act as resource person and resolves problems. Provide written and verbal information to the individuals, University administration and outside agencies. Assist the University community with completion of payroll forms.
- Perform administrative and clerical tasks according to the needs of the unit. Prepare documents such as letters, notes, and attestations. Liaise with appropriate resources persons.
- Communicate with bank personnel in order to trace salary deposits and lost or stolen cheques. Process documentation for special cheques and the issuance of new cheques.
- Calculate and prepare year-to-date adjustments to ensure the accurate issuance of all T4 and Relevé 1 tax slips.
- Diploma of Collegial Studies (3-year technical DEC) in Business Administration, Accounting, Management or in a field pertinent to the primary responsibilities and two to four years of payroll work experience.
- Canadian Payroll Association (Payroll Compliance Practitioner (PCP)) certification or studying towards a PCP certification an asset.
- Very strong mathematical and accounting skills to deal with complex calculations and General Ledger issues.
- Good knowledge (Level 4) of spoken and written English in order to compose, proofread correspondence, and to advise staff and students about university policies; basic knowledge (Level 3) of spoken French in order to answer inquires for routine to complex information from students, employees and members of the public. Good French reading comprehension.
- Good knowledge (Intermediate level) of Excel (to create, modify, and format tables/charts) and of Word (to create templates, and create mail merges); proven experience using e-mail and Internet applications; prior experience entering data into a database. Basic knowledge of ACCESS (to perform basic payroll queries).
- Excellent interpersonal, listening, and problem solving skills.
- Ability to work as part of a team and independently.
- Customer service skills.
- Knowledge of Human Resources Information System, an asset.
$28.87 to $34.72 per annum.
Interested applicants must submit a curriculum vitae with a covering letter by October 8, 2019. Please click on the How to Apply button below for further instructions.
IMPORTANT: The language and computer skills of short-listed candidates will be tested.
Concordia University is committed to Employment Equity and encourages applications from women, Aboriginal Peoples, visible minorities, ethnic minorities, and persons with disabilities.
- Working at Concordia
- Current opportunities
- Employment equity
- Immigration guide for faculty
- Current opportunities