Candidates will receive an email confirmation when submitting their application online. However, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. Please allow one (1) working day from the time you send in your application to receive an email confirmation.
JUNIOR LAWYER, EMPLOYMENT AND LABOUR RELATIONS (C4688)
Deadline: October 28, 2019
This posting represents a three (3) year full-time contract position.
Reporting to the Legal Counsel, Employment and Labour Relations, the incumbent assists the Legal Counsel on a wide-range of complex and confidential issues in all employment, labour relations and labour relations litigation matters for the University. He/she provides expert legal support, including guidance, advice, research, legal reviews and recommendations.
- Support the daily demands as well as long-term planning efforts of the Legal Counsel, Employment and Labour Relations by assisting in the prioritization and execution of overall University legal goals and objectives related to employment, labour law and related fields.
- Provide legal opinions, guidance and practical solutions on a great variety of employment and labour relations dossiers and activities as well as general law matters.
- Maintain a legal watch and support clients regarding recent precedents and amendments to acts and regulations in the areas of employment law and labour relations with a goal to identify and recommend alternate solutions.
- Liaise with internal stakeholders and conduct research to provide legal analysis and advice to University members; conduct research for the Legal team in support of their respective mandates, when required.
- Participate in the preparation of various labour-related legal proceedings, including but not limited to grievances, administrative and arbitration proceedings, and other court proceedings.
- Draft, review and negotiate a variety of legal opinions, contracts, settlement agreements and other legal instruments.
- Remain current of statutory and regulatory enactments/amendments and civil law, in particular in the fields of employment and labour relations law, and recommend appropriate operational, compliance and/or policy responses.
- Assist external counsel as required.
- Bachelor of Civil Law and two to four of experience with a focus on employment and labour relations law.
- Member of the Barreau du Quebec.
- Knowledge of a University environment or similar organization desirable.
- Possess strong analytical, interpretive and research skills; a high degree of motivation and a commitment to teamwork.
- Very good knowledge (Level 5) of written and spoken English and French.
- Ability to draft, negotiate and advise on agreements, opinions, correspondence in French and English without review
- Works well autonomously and in a team in a dynamic, result-driven, service environment an asset.
- Ability to undertake a diverse range of complex projects and activities simultaneously and effectively.
- Possessing a high standard of discretion, judgement and professionalism essential for working in a highly confidential environment.
$79,124.00 - $ 91, 760.00 per annum
Interested applicants must submit a curriculum vitae with a covering letter by October 28, 2019. Please click on the How to Apply button below for further instructions.
IMPORTANT: The language and computer skills of short-listed candidates will be tested.
Concordia University is committed to Employment Equity and encourages applications from women, Aboriginal Peoples, visible minorities, ethnic minorities, and persons with disabilities.
- Working at Concordia
- Current opportunities
- Employment equity
- Immigration guide for faculty
- Current opportunities