Candidates will receive an email confirmation when submitting their application online. However, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. Please allow one (1) working day from the time you send in your application to receive an email confirmation.
CONCORDIA LIBRARY - VANIER LIBRARY
PUBLIC SERVICES CLERK (S0018)
Deadline: October 1, 2019
This posting represents a seasonal position working from October 7, 2019 to May 28, 2020; 28 hours per week (4-day workweek: Monday to Thursday from 8:30a.m. to 4:30p.m.).
Under the general direction of the Head, Vanier Library, and under the supervision of the Public Services Supervisor, the incumbent provides general assistance and circulation services to library users and performs duties associated with the circulation of library materials.
- Serve at the service desk; open and close the service desk, charge, discharge, inspect and route library materials.
- Collect and record payments, and issue receipts.
- Answer user questions related to circulation policies and procedures, locating specific library materials, and general and directional information; handle complaints related to services and resolve minor problems. Refer all other questions to the appropriate person.
- Monitor the condition of library laptops, audiovisual, microform, and computer equipment. Report problems according to procedures.
- Monitor the library exit gate and investigate exit gate alarms.
- Perform functions related to circulation services, such as reserves and media booking, as assigned, according to established procedures.
- Perform tasks related to article delivery, interlibrary loans and other document delivery services, such as: locate and retrieve items in the library collection; scan documents into electronic files; and provide notification to requestors according to guidelines.
- Perform tasks related to the maintenance of the collections, stacks, equipment and the library study spaces, such as: assembling shelving, weeding, and keeping study spaces in order.
- Clear, sort and shelve library materials, shelf-read on an ongoing basis and shift collections as assigned.
- Sort and deliver mail to designated points within the Vanier Library, make special deliveries as required and prepare outgoing mail for pick-up.
- Collect and record required statistics.
- Add paper, toner, etc., to office and public printers.
- Promptly report security incidents and building maintenance problems according to established procedures.
- Assist with carrying out special projects and participate in library committee work, as assigned.
- High school diploma (DSS) and one (1) year of library experience, or Attestation of Collegial Studies in library technology and some working experience
- Good knowledge (Level 4) of spoken English and basic knowledge (Level 3) of written English and spoken French; fluency in spoken French desirable.
- Experience working with in the Windows operating system, basic skills for email management and internet navigation.
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal skills are essential; this must include courtesy and tact, and evidence of aptitude for and interest in service-oriented work with library users, and ability to work cooperatively with supervisors and other staff members.
- Evidence of discretion and good judgment in handling queries and complaints, and in solving routine problems.
- Evidence of ability to learn new procedures and technologies.
- Evidence of ability to organize work, to meet deadlines, and to perform duties reliably, accurately and efficiently with a minimum of supervision; ability to shift from one activity to another, and to cope with interruptions.
- Demonstrated ability to search for and interpret records in the online library catalogue.
- Experience with an automated circulation system, and demonstrated knowledge of the operation of basic audio-visual or microform equipment, are assets.
- Physical ability as attested by successful completion of medical evaluation to the University’s satisfaction. (e.g.: to lift, carry and move, without assistance, up to 11 kg (25lbs) and to push a book cart weighing up to 136kg (300lbs)).
- Ability to works evenings, weekends, and holidays as scheduled.
$23.48 to $26.99 per hour
Interested applicants must submit a curriculum vitae with a covering letter by October 1, 2019. Please click on the How to Apply button below for further instructions.
IMPORTANT: The language and computer skills of short-listed candidates will be tested.
Concordia University is committed to Employment Equity and encourages applications from women, Aboriginal Peoples, visible minorities, ethnic minorities, and persons with disabilities.
- Working at Concordia
- Current opportunities
- Employment equity
- Immigration guide for faculty
- Current opportunities