Candidates will receive an email confirmation when submitting their application online. However, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. Please allow one (1) working day from the time you send in your application to receive an email confirmation.
GINA CODY SCHOOL OF ENGINEERING AND COMPUTER SCIENCE (GCS)
RESEARCH OFFICER (C1950)
Deadline: December 2, 2019
This posting represents a two-year full-time contract position.
Reporting to the Associate Dean, Research and Graduate Studies, the incumbent provides guidance and financial information to faculty members regarding research grants and contracts. He/she manages and reviews eligibility, appointment and payment of research personnel, postdoctoral fellows, students, academic visitors, and research interns.
- Advise on policy regarding: research personnel, students and postdoctoral fellows; university visiting scholar and research intern exchanges; and restricted and research funds.
- Review research grants, contracts and agreements for GCS approval with regards to commitments, certification requirements and overall compliance.
- Manage GCS research funding processes. (Document, maintain and communicate guidelines; verify eligibility and compliance; issue funding to faculty members; ensure compliance with university-allocated funding; and reconcile research payroll expense discrepancies.)
- Liaise with university legal services, immigration specialists, and other colleagues as needed to determine whether student, non-student, and postdoctoral appointments and payments made from research accounts respect citizenship and immigration Canada rules, Quebec labour standards, University and GCS policies, as well as collective agreements.
- Coordinate the GCS internal review process for university research-based internal competitions in collaboration with the Associate Dean, Research and Graduate Studies,
- Collect, analyze, and maintain data related to research for the Dean, Associate Deans, Department Chairs and the Office of Research and Financial Services.
- Review research payroll, procurement documentation and other contractual documentation requiring the Dean’s approval in compliance with policy; coordinate the review regarding space and facilities requirements with the Manager, Planning and Operations, Facilities, GCS.
- Coordinate Faculty Research Support and oversees its internal database.
- Assess GCS undergraduate student eligibility for USRA, communicate and obtain confirmations regarding the financial support and nature and location of the research from faculty members to satisfy program requirements; communicate evaluation guidelines and obtain USRA ranking from GCS department chairs; prepare recommendation and ranking of NSERC and Concordia Undergraduate Student Research Award (USRA) for the Associate Dean, Student Academic Services approval.
- Provide specialized support for the national and international exchange of faculty and research interns (both to and from Concordia) when signed proposal agreements have been implemented; advise researchers on university policies relating to faculty research internship exchanges.
- Bachelor's degree and a minimum of two to four years of relevant work experience, including experience with a university research funding environment and/or with functions related to research and/or research administration.
- Ability to interpret agency specific information such as evaluation criteria and use of funding guidelines; ability to effectively communicate such information to faculty members.
- Good knowledge (Level 4) of spoken and written English in order to write, analyze, and provide feedback to maintain effective communication with faculty members, external research partners, and internal units; good knowledge (Level 4) of spoken French in order to communicate with funding agencies and external partners; and basic knowledge (Level 3) of written French to handle routine requests in writing.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint to create documents, spreadsheets and presentations.
- Basic knowledge of SIS, procurement web requisition, web-based financial reports (Banner and Millennium), Conrad (research administration database), GCS Graduate Student Database, GCS Employee Information System and Pay Advice an asset.
- Self-directed individual with proactive attitude and problem-solving skills with proven ability to work in a fast-paced service-oriented environment while meeting deadlines on short-notice.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including the confidence, tact, discretion and judgment to work effectively with academic researchers, government representatives and senior administrators.
$ 70,939.46 - $ 84,736.95 per annum
Interested applicants must submit a curriculum vitae with a covering letter by December 2, 2019. Please click on the How to Apply button below for further instructions.
IMPORTANT: The language and computer skills of short-listed candidates will be tested.
Concordia University is committed to Employment Equity and encourages applications from women, Aboriginal Peoples, visible minorities, ethnic minorities, and persons with disabilities.
- Working at Concordia
- Current opportunities
- Employment equity
- Immigration guide for faculty
- Current opportunities