Work permits

In general, individuals who are neither Canadian citizens nor Canadian permanent residents must apply for and obtain a work permit before starting to work in Canada. The work permit should be valid for the full period of employment and must identify Concordia University as the Employer. If there are multiple employers, Concordia University must still be clearly indicated on the document. Alternatively, most holders of open work permits (where no employer is specified) may work at Concordia University.

Only holders of work permits as outlined above can work and be paid by Concordia University, unless an exception applies. This rule concerns all Faculty, including full-time and part-time professors, visiting scholars, research professors and post-doctoral fellows. Please contact our Immigration Specialist who can determine the rules applicable to your specific case.

Concordia University graduate students enrolled in full-time studies with a valid study permit may work on campus. Under certain conditions, they may work off campus for up to 20 hours a week during regular academic sessions and full-time during scheduled breaks such as the winter and summer holidays or spring break; a valid study permit is acceptable in lieu of a work permit. If the student does not maintain full-time enrolment status or satisfactory academic results, he/she is no longer authorized to work on or off campus.

For information regarding Temporary Foreign Workers’ rights, please visit: Please consult the pdf version here.

This information has been reviewed and approved by Legal Counsel.

Back to top

© Concordia University