Skip to main content

Social insurance numbers

Once in Canada, individuals must apply for a temporary social insurance number through the branch office of Service Canada that serves their area of residence: Find a Service Canada Centre Near You. The Social Insurance Number is commonly referred to as the SIN. The temporary SIN must be renewed each time that the work permit is renewed. A copy of the SIN must be sent to Payroll at and cc:

Individuals are responsible for maintaining their legal work status by renewing their work permits and temporary social insurance numbers before these expire. They should contact the Immigration Specialist at: for instructions at least five months before the expiration of the current permit.

Back to top Back to top

© Concordia University