Skip to main content

Canadian permanent residency

Tenure-track faculty who are not Canadian citizens or Canadian permanent residents are expected to apply for Canadian permanent resident (PR) status within the term of their first probationary appointment. Temporary foreign workers, or work-permit holders, cannot be awarded official tenure status until PR status has been obtained. For tenure-on-appointment contracts, tenure will be awarded nominally and will take effect only when permanent residency becomes effective. Some granting agencies require proof that the PR process has been started.

Individuals should contact the Faculty Relations Officer shortly after their arrival at the University in order to obtain further information on the PR application process. 

Application process

The Canadian permanent resident application process is divided into two parts for individuals who intend to reside in Québec:

  • Selection: acquiring a Certificat de sélection du Québec (CSQ) from the province;
  • Admission: acquiring approval to be a permanent resident from the Government of Canada.

The faculty member (principal applicant), spouse or de facto spouse and dependent children under the age of 19 apply for PR together. Applications are submitted in the Skilled Worker category of the Québec selection program. Normally, the entire process can be completed within one to four years.

Québec evaluates the skills, education and work experience that applicants are bringing to the province and will evaluate French- and English-language proficiency. 

Required documents

Before departing for Montreal, individuals should gather the following important documents:

  • original birth certificates (or copies) for the principal applicant, spouse or de facto spouse and all dependent children under the age of 19;
  • for the principal applicant and spouse: original letters of employment attestation (or copies) from all employers going back five years. The letters must state the title of the position held, the nature of the duties performed, the number of hours worked per week, the duration of the employment and any remuneration. Letters should be on letterhead, must include the employer's coordinates and must be signed and include the name and title of the signatory. Pay stubs or copies of work contracts will not be accepted in lieu of letters of attestation;
  • for the principal applicant and spouse: originals of all diplomas and transcripts from and including high school onwards;
  • for the principal applicant and spouse: originals of tax returns for countries of residence for the past 5 years – in sealed envelopes, if possible.

This information has been reviewed and approved by Legal Counsel

Back to top Back to top

© Concordia University