Beginning in 2016-17, Jacob Krane-Paul made the Concordia Dean’s List for three consecutive years. He was the 2018-19 vice-president of finance for the John Molson Sports Marketing Committee and the recipient of a Concordia Undergraduate Student Research Award.
He is also a member of the Golden Key International Honour Society, Beta Gamma Sigma Honours Society and the Alpha Epsilon Pi Fraternity.
Three keys to a good education
- Time management: Setting and following an agenda is critical to ensuring that we have enough time to adequately learn and subsequently apply course materials.
- Open-mindedness: Entering the classroom with personal opinions is easy. The challenge lies in viewing issues from other perspectives and thinking critically.
- Explore your interests: Concordia offers a myriad of courses. Taking a range of subjects — within or outside the boundaries of our fields — leads to engagement with the materials and ultimately a better learning experience.
Two lessons learned at Concordia University
- Engagement is essential. Becoming involved in student life is the perfect complement to academic pursuits. Engagement allows us to foster relationships with others who have shared interests, while offering a venue outside the classroom to learn a different set of skills — such as planning, working with others and problem-solving.
- We have voices and our voices matter. But we have to speak up, speak out, listen and use our voices strategically. In the classrooms, in our professors’ offices and with colleagues and friends, we face countless opportunities to use our voices to express our opinions and rethink our positions in the context of engaged dialogue.
Next great goal
- I aim to find similar success at McGill’s Faculty of Law and position myself for an exciting career in the sports industry.
Advice for future grads
- At JMSB, we have developed a tightly knit community of aspiring business people. Given our communal pride, we should not hesitate to reach out to our friends, who, one day, may become our business partners.