Funded Master of Applied Science Position – Starting Fall 2023/Winter 2024 Aircraft Systems Laboratory
Dr. S. Liscouët-Hanke
ACI-OPT Project – Development of a wire routing evaluation tool for the conceptual design of aircraft equipment bays
A funded position for a Master of Applied Science (MASc) is open, starting in Sep 2023 or January 2024, in the Aircraft Systems Lab. The MASc will take part in the collaborative project ACI-OPT Aircraft Component InstallationOPTimization) between Concordia University, McGill University, Bombardier, MTLS Aerostructures and StreamSystems.
Context and Objectives
To achieve a carbon-neutral aeronautics industry, aircraft manufacturers must invest in visionary concepts and novel technologies. At the same time, to be competitive, they also need to improve their development processes to make them more efficient and effective. In this context, the ACI-OPT project is pursuing research to accelerate the development process of future aircraft featuring novel technologies such as hybrid-electric propulsion and systems. This project aims to develop novel design tools and methodologies to enable the development of more environmentally friendly aircraft in a shorter and less costly manner. In particular, this project aims to improve the conceptual design of aircraft by automating and optimizing the placement of aircraft systems and components, considering the many competing constraints.
This MASc project will focus on wire and duct routing based on aircraft component installation. The student will develop a tool to estimate the weight of electrical wiring based on automated wire routings between aircraft system components for early aircraft design.
• Completed Bachelor in aerospace engineering or electrical engineering;
• Knowledge in aircraft and systems design, particularly electrical systems (or willingness to learn fast)
• Experience with 3D modelling (CatiaV5, OpenVSP) and programming (Python)
• Excellent communication and teamwork skills – need to work as part of a project team
• Excellent academic writing skills or willingness to develop
How to apply
Qualified candidates can send their application per email to email@example.com using the subject "ACI-OPT Wiring" with the following elements:
• Email with your motivation and relevant experience
• A complete and up-to-date CV (indicate any leave or circumstances to be considered)
• Transcripts and proof of Bachelor degree (or equivalent)
• Writing sample (e.g., project report or first-author publication)
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
We are committed to creating an inclusive research environment in the Aircraft Systems Lab. Applications from all qualified candidates are encouraged, particularly from underrepresented groups, such as women, visible minorities, indigenous persons, sexual minorities, persons with disabilities, and others who may contribute to diversification; candidates are invited to self-identify in their application.
Graduate program and funding information
Before applying, please review the guidelines and information for graduate students at Concordia:
This MASc position will come with a base bursary for 2 years (conditions apply), which can be supplemented with scholarships from other sources. https://www.concordia.ca/sgs/awards-funding.html