Lapsed & Failed Standing Students
If a Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) student in good academic standing does not attend courses at Concordia for 9 or more consecutive semesters, then their program lapses and they can no longer register.
Lapsed students may apply to the Faculty of Fine Arts (FOFA) Student Academic Services (SAS) to return to their BFA studies. Whenever possible, we try to accommodate this request.
Lapsed students leave in good academic standing, but re-entry into their program(s) of study may not be possible due to changes to the program curriculum & technical components of the degree since leaving their studies. In some instances, the program of study may not be offered anymore.
Departments may require a portfolio or audition before considering re-entry. Decisions are made case by case.
Process to request unlapsing:
- Complete a General Student Request Form
- Attach a signed/dated letter explaining your departure, what you have been doing during the interim & the reason why you want to return now
- Attach all copies of academic records from other institutions attended during the period of absence from Concordia
- Send above documents to firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you have questions, please connect with your FOFA Student Academic Services advisor
Students in Failed standing will receive a notice from the Registrar at the end of the academic year and will be removed from their studies. Courses in progress during May-June term will be permitted to be completed, but all future course registrations are cancelled, and full block put on the record.
Failed students are encouraged to attend one of the following support sessions to get more information on the Readmission Process. While students may apply for readmission immediately to the BFA upon failing out, it is encouraged that students consider the option to take a year+ break, if the situation that lead to their course failures is not on track to be resolved.
Readmission application deadline: JUNE 15
Readmission support sessions
Offered by the Faculty of Fine Arts (FOFA) Student Academic Services (SAS)
Register for a Zoom session:
Standardly, readmission is only considered for Fall semester re-entry. However, Winter semester readmission to the BFA is considered on case-by-case basis. International students are encouraged to apply for readmission as soon as possible should they require renewal of their CAQ &/or Study Permits.
Students who apply for readmission outside of the month on June or who wish to discuss applying for readmission into another degree program should connect with Amanda Holt during one of her daily drop-in advising times.
- Carefully re-read the communication from the Registrar’s indicating that you are in “Failed Standing” & follow all instructions
- Visit the Student Success Centre’s Students in failed standing webpage
- Watch the required Readmission requirements video
- Take the required LASSI Test
- Download & complete Readmission application
- Upload the Readmission application & ALL required supporting documentation on your Student Centre by the deadline. ENSURE that you upload as Fine Arts readmission if you are selecting to return to the BFA.