The Disability Awareness & Empathy Building Toolkit
The Centre for the Arts in Human Development has developed and publishedThe Disability Awareness and Empathy Building Toolkit, for use in both elementary and high schools. The concept of the toolkit emerged from our SSHRC funded research in performance ethnography and a subsequent project in elementary and high schools that looked at developing understanding of the lives of people with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
Contents of the Toolkit
- Overview of intellectual and developmental disabilities in Canada
- Copy of the DVD, "In Their Own Voices," a documentary developed about the performance ethnography process and performance. This educational documentary warmly presents how this group of people with intellectual and developmental disabilities view themselves and their interactions with the world around them, and offers viewers a glimpse into their dreams, aspirations and hopes for the future.
- DVD discussion guide
- Activities and assignment
- Guide to external resources for more information
- Suggested bibliography and filmography
Preview sample pages and activities from The Disability Awareness and Empathy Building Toolkit.
Order the toolkit today
The cost of the toolkit is $150.00 CAD each, which includes taxes and S&H in Canada.
Please a send cheque for each toolkit, payable to: "Concordia University (CAHD)", to the following address to complete your order:
The Centre for the Arts in Human Development
7079 Rue de Terrebonne
Once we receive your cheque, we will process and mail out your Disability Awareness and Empathy Building Toolkit.
Please contact us with any questions: