Jazz studies admission requirements
Steps for Concordia students currently enrolled in another Faculty of Fine Arts undergraduate program or in another music specialization.
- Complete the Internal Transfer of Program Request Form
- Submit the form to the Department of Music by email to Nicoletta.Pasquino@concordia.ca.
- Complete your Music Admission Package
Steps for Concordia students currently enrolled in another Faculty
We need to know more about you than the university application provides. After making your application to Concordia University, you will go to our music admissions website and provide:
- Information about you and your music
- Online Basic Theory Screening Test
- Theory and Ear-Training Placement Tests
- Video Audition
On the webpage, your application to the Specialization in Jazz Studies will be completed with information about your background and goals in music, placement testing, and a video audition. It is your responsibility to complete these requirements.
First read the guidelines below, then begin your music admissions package. Initiate the process by creating an account on our music admissions website.
Important Video Audition Guidelines!
All jazz auditions must include three pieces as follows:
- One blues
- One ballad
- One standard of your choice
Aim for a high standard of performance, a well-balanced program, and demonstrate your strengths and joy in making music.
Points to observe for video auditions
- Place the camera so that you, your instrument, and your full range of motion are in the frame at all times. It is not necessary to show accompanists. Choose a medium distance that shows as much detail as possible while still allowing the image to be framed as described above.
- State your name and say, “This is my audition for the Concordia University Music Department.”
- State title and composer before each piece is played.
- The whole video recording should not exceed 15 minutes.
- Composers/arrangers may perform one piece of their own work and are asked to upload or send in scores.
The three selections are as for all jazz auditions: one blues, one ballad, and one standard of your choice. Vocal improvisation (scat singing) or vocalise is optional.
Jazz Bass, Guitar and Piano, Vibraphone/Marimba
It is essential to demonstrate both accompaniment and solo skills in the audition.
In your three selections, be sure to cover the following:
- Play swing time
- Play with brushes.
- Play a Latin rhythm
Applicants are required to do an online written theory test to demonstrate solid musical knowledge, and also for course placement (exemptions from some courses may be granted based on test results). Materials range quite broadly, from very basic rudiments up to intermediate harmony, counterpoint, and formal analysis.
- Undergraduate programs
- Major in Music
- Major/Minor in Electroacoustic Studies
- Specialization in Jazz Studies
- Specialization in Music Composition
- Specialization in Music Performance
- Private study
- Courses for non-music students
- Major in Music