CDA Membership Privileges
Thank you for purchasing a membership to the Centre for Digital Arts (CDA).
Your membership fee goes directly towards keeping CDA hardware and software up to date.
Please take this time to familiarize yourself with your membership privileges and CDA services.
CDA Membership Privileges
- A CDA Account with 10GB of combined storage / web hosting space on our servers.
- Access to our computer labs
- Access to our video and sound edit rooms, sound recording room and sound mixing room
- Sound Effects Library
- Free enrolment in CDA video and sound workshops.
- Technical support
- Presentation testing and delivery in any of classrooms (availability permitting) including our multichannel audio equipped classroom.
1. Your CDA Account
You can login to any computer at the CDA with your name and password. Your CDA account includes 10GB of storage space on our server. This space may also be used for hosting a website
2. The Open Access Lab (EV 5.715)
At anytime during our opening hours you can walk into the open access lab and work on a computer. All the computers in this lab have two operating systems, Mac OS X and Windows 7. Please note that all files left on the computer are deleted over night. Most students work with an external USB 3 hard drive. Flatbed image scanners and film negative and slide scanners are also available in this lab. When classes are not in session, you are also permitted to work in the adjacent smart rooms.
Here is a list of software installed in the Open Access Lab:
3. The Video and Sound Edit Rooms
The Video and Sound Rooms offer a private workspace with faster machines for video, sound and 3D graphics work. These rooms are avialable 24 hours a day and are bookable online for up to five hours a day (with the possibility of staying longer). Here is the edit room booking system: http://www.concordia.ca/finearts/cda/edit-rooms.html
The edit rooms have the following features:
- Faster multi-core Macs with dual screens
- Near-field sound monitors
- Better Graphics cards for faster effects and 3D rendering
- One HD/2K/4K video color correction room (room zero)
- Tape and Disc transfer: HDV, DV, VHS, DVD, BluRay
- Drive space available for long term projects or online projects
- Overnight Rendering
The Sound Recording Room:
The CDA has one room suitable for voice or single instrument recording. You may record direct into Pro Tools or Logic. There is a selection of microphones.
The Sound Mixing Room:
This is equipped for stereo, multi-channel, or surround sound mixing. There are extra plug-ins, a control surface and Izotope RX noise reduction software. You must demonstrate a knowledge of audio mixing to use this room.
4. Sound Effects Library
Any computer at the CDA can connect to our sound effects library with thousands of pre-recorded effects and ambiances. There is a database to facilitate searches.
5. Video and Sound Workshops
These workshops are a good introduction to some of the fundamentals of working with video and sound software. Complement your courses with technical training. Reservations are free for all members and can be made online.
- Video workshops on Editing, Color Correcting, Compression and Effects
- Sound workshops on Adobe Audition
The CDA workshop page: http://www.concordia.ca/finearts/cda/edit-rooms/workshops.html
6. Technical Support
CDA members benefit from technical support that often resolves immediate software issues and increases knowledge of digital tools. Whenever you are working at the CDA you may request technical help or you may book appointments with our support staff for technical consultation on projects.
Here is a list of CDA staff members: http://www.concordia.ca/finearts/cda/contact.html
If you are unsure of whom to address, ask at the EV equipment depot.
7. Presentation Testing
Room EV 5.615 can be booked for testing presentations. It also has a multi-channel surround audio playback system. NOTE: Do not hang items on walls or ceilings where damage to surfaces can occur.
Other Pertinent Information:
A CDA membership is not required to borrow equipment. The CDA has three equipment depots: the main EV equipment depot on the fifth floor of the EV building where most of the equipment for the Faculty of Fine Arts is located, the MB equipment depot on the eight floor of the MB building for Performing Arts and a smaller equipment depot in the VA building for pick-up and return.
Equipment bookings can be made online (in the Patron Portal), in person or by phone at the EV (ext. 3438) and MB (ext: 4719) depots.
Please familiarize yourself with the exact location and the guidelines of our equipment depots on our website: http://www.concordia.ca/finearts/cda/equipment.html
CDA Room Booking Systems
To Book a Teaching Lab
- Go to http://www.concordia.ca/finearts/cda/labs/lab-schedules.html to see if a time is available.
- Then go to http://www.concordia.ca/finearts/cda/labs/reservations.html to make a reservation.
Video & Sound Edit Rooms
Performing Arts Room Bookings
- Information at http://www.concordia.ca/finearts/cda/support/faq/booking-performing-arts-rooms.html
- View available rooms at https://cda-admin.concordia.ca/Calendars/