Saifur Rahaman, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Building, Civil, and Environmental Engineering
Dr. Saifur Rahaman is currently an Associate Professor of Environmental Engineering at Concordia University. Prior to joining Concordia in June 2012, he spent two years as an NSERC-Canada Postdoctoral Fellow in the Department of Chemical and Environmental Engineering at Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut. Dr. Rahaman received his Ph.D. from University of British Columbia (UBC), Vancouver, BC, M.A.Sc. from Dalhousie University, Halifax, NS, and B.Sc. from Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (BUET), Dhaka, Bangladesh, all in environmental engineering.
The primary focus of Dr. Rahaman’s current research is to develop advanced materials and novel membrane-based processes for water and wastewater treatment. His research interest includes (i) environmental applications and implications of engineered nanomaterials, (ii) membrane separations for water and wastewater purification, (iii) electrochemical advanced oxidation for disinfection and destruction of trace contaminants, and (iv) resource recovery (water, nutrient and energy) from industrial wastewater. Dr. Rahaman received a number of prestigious awards including Concordia Research Fellow Award in Category A (2017), MWH/AEESP Best Master's Thesis Advisor Award (2016), Petro-Canada Young Innovators Award (2015), NSERC Postdoctoral Fellowship (2010-2012) and British Columbia Water & Waste Association (BCWWA) Student Achievement Award (2009). Dr. Rahaman holds professional memberships with the American Chemical Society (ACS), the International Water Association (IWA), the Water Environment Federation (WEF) and the Association of Environmental Engineering and Science Professors (AEESP).
- Yale University, New Haven, CT, USA. Postdoctoral Fellow, 2012
- University of British Columbia (UBC), Vancouver, BC, Canada. Ph.D., 2010
- Dalhousie University, Halifax, NS, Canada. M.A.Sc., 2003
- Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (BUET), Dhaka, Bangladesh. B.Sc., 2000
Awards and honors
- Concordia Research Fellow Award in the Strategic Research Cluster "Technology, Industry and the Environment" (2017)
- MWH/AEESP (Association of Environmental Engineering and Science Professors) Master's Thesis Award First Place (Master's Student Adel Soroush) (2016)
- Petro-Canada Young Innovators Award (2015)
- NSERC Postdoctoral Fellowship (2010-2012)
- British Columbia Water & Waste Association (BCWWA) Student Achievement Award (2009)
- ENGR 202-Sustainable Development and Environmental Stewardship
- CIVI 361-Introduction to Environmental Engineering
- CIVI 466-Engineering Aspects of Chemical and Biological Processes
- CIVI-691E/UU-Environmental Nanotechnology
- Environmental applications of engineered nanomaterials
- Membrane separations
- Electrochemical advanced oxidation
- Resource recovery from waste
- Process modelling for advanced treatment technologies