Montreal exhibition showcases the work of Nunatsiavut artists by Bipasha Sultana and Tom Peacock, Concordia News
Indigenous Directions Newsletter
We hope you're getting comfortable in the new academic year, enjoying the Fall colours and crisper air. We had a busy year last year but are so proud of what we've accomplished together and with our community, and are looking forward to seeing what this new year will bring.
See below for updates on Indigenous Directions work, current opportunities for students and faculty, recent news items coming out of Concordia, and resources for continuing the work of Indigenization and decolonization.
There's some change that's happened within our structure over the past few months: From now on the Indigenous Directions Leadership Group will be known as the Indigenous Directions Leadership Council, and our new office, the Office of Indigenous Directions, will act as the administrative support for the IDLC and the implementation of Indigenous Directions mandates (the current mandate being the Action Plan) within the Office of the Provost. Some other things we worked on this summer include:
- Our Indigenous Directions Annual Report, an overview of everything we experienced and accomplished last year;
- Welcoming Donna Kahérakwas Goodleaf, Indigenous Curriculum and Pedagogy Advisor at the Centre for Teaching and Learning, as Interim Senior Director of the Office of Indigenous Directions;
- Putting out a call for the hiring of a new Senior Director of the Office of Indigenous Directions;
- Updating our application for the Indigenous Directions Action Plan Support Fund (formerly the Indigenous Directions Fund) - Applications are now open!;
- And drafting up our Terms of Reference for the IDLC, which we're in the process of ratifying - We will share these documents with you when they're ready to be publicly presented.
We're also in the process of developing ways to track the implementation of the Action Plan that we'll share with you soon. In the meantime, if you have updates or thoughtful feedback you'd like to share with us, please don't hesitate to get in touch with Victoria Cooke, Communications and Interim Project Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Niá:wen, tiawenhk, miigwetch, nakurmiik, merci, thank you.
The Indigenous Directions Leadership Council and the Office of Indigenous Directions
Indigenous Student Council (ISC) Elections
"The purpose of the ISC is to provide representation for the Indigenous student body (First Nations, Inuit, and Metis) by forming a collective Indigenous voice, to provide support and advocacy for Indigenous students and to provide an outlet for students interested in all aspects of Indigenous cultures. Currently, all four executive positions - President, Vice-President, VP of Finance, VP of Events and Outreach - on the ISC are vacant."
Interested in learning more? Visit the ISC Concordia Facebook page or apply here!
First Voices Week Coordinators Job Postings
In collaboration with the First Peoples Studies Members Association, the Office of Indigenous Directions is hiring three coordinators to organize the 2019-2020 iteration of First Voices Week.
Learn more about the job and apply.
Graduate Research Assistant Posting
Dr. Louellyn White (First Peoples Studies) is seeking a Master's or Doctorate-level graduate research assistant to conduct archival research. Learn more and apply.
The Decolonizing Light project is seeking Research Assistants
"Decolonizing Light: Tracing and countering colonialism in contemporary physics" is led by Drs. Tanja Tajmel (Physics), Louellyn White (First Peoples Studies), and Ingo Salzmann (Physics, Chemistry and Biochemistry). This interdisciplinary team of researchers will investigate "the reproduction of colonialism in and through physics and higher physics education and explores ways of academic decolonization."
Learn more about the project and information for applying here.
The Faculty of Fine Arts is hiring for the following positions:
- Tenure-Track Faculty Position in Indigenous Art History and Visual Culture (English | Français)
- Tenure-Track Faculty Position in Frameworks and Interventions in Indigenous Art Practice (English | Français)
- Tenure-Track Faculty Position in Intersectional, Feminist, and/or Decolonial 2D and 4D Image-Making Practices (English | Français)
Please share these opportunities with those you think may be interested!
In the News
StartUP Nations cultivates the spirit of collective entrepreneurship at Concordia by Marcus Bankuti, Concordia News