16-22 November 2015
Media Monitoring Report for Rwanda (16-22 November 2015)
Posted on November 27, 2015
Compiled by Berta Fürstová
- Senate approved constitutional amendments
1. Senate approved constitutional amendments
Private but pro-government newspapers
“Senate passes constitutional amendments” by Rodrigue Rwirahira (New Times, 18th November 2015 )
- Senators approved constitutional amendments, forwarding the draft Constitution to the Lower House for a final parliamentary endorsement.
- Senators for the past two weeks made a number of changes to the draft, ranging from the format, to content and the structure. At least 30 provisions of the 177 draft legislation were changed.
- Among the changes made by the Senate are those relating to power sharing, political pluralism, functions of political organisations, media functions and power of the Parliament.
- The revised constitution has also seen some new provisions including articles relating to replacement of a member of the Chamber of Deputies and immunity for Members of Parliament and procedures for their prosecution.
- Should the revised constitution be endorsed by Parliament, it will be subject to a national referendum.