#RightsCity Montreal 2019
Organized by the Concordia’s Montreal Institute for Genocide and Human Rights Studies (MIGS), Amnesty International Francophone Canada, the Raoul Wallenberg Centre for Human Rights, the Canadian International Council and the Centre for International Peace and Security Studies at McGill University, #RightsCity will bring together inspiring thought leaders in order to gain insights into pressing human rights issues and to re-energize the international human rights community during a time of great upheaval.
Confirmed speakers and moderators
- Adama Dieng, special Advisor to the United Nations Secretary General on the Prevention of Genocide, former registrar of the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda, and legal and human rights expert
- Roméo Dallaire, Canadian retired lieutenant-general and senator, humanitarian advocate, founder of the Child Soldiers Initiative and distinguished senior fellow at MIGS
- Irwin Cotler, chair of the Raoul Wallenberg Centre for Human Rights, professor emeritus of Law at McGill University, former Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada, long-time Member of Parliament, and international human rights lawyer
- Yang Jianli, Chinese dissident and former political prisoner who was involved in the Tiananmen Square democracy movement
- Michael Abramowitz, president of Freedom House and former White House correspondent for the Washington Post
- Jeremy Kinsman, former Canadian diplomat and Ambassador/High Commissioner to Russia, Italy, the European Union and the United Kingdom, and current resident international scholar at the Berkeley Institute of Governmental Studies
- Shaparak Shajarizadeh, former Iranian political prisoner, women's rights leader and senior fellow at the Raoul Wallenberg Centre for Human Rights
- Bessma Momani, professor at the University of Waterloo and Balsilie School of International Affairs, and senior fellow at the Centre for International Governance Innovation
- Jennifer Welsh, Canada 150 Research Chair in Global Governance and Security at McGill University, former special advisor to the United Nations Secretary General on the Responsibility to Protect
- Debra Arbec, journalist and news anchor at CBC Montreal
- Joanna Vrakas, news anchor and host at Breakfast Television
Other speakers to be confirmed shortly.