***The content on this page will be continually updated.
Last updated: December 7, 2023, 9:25 a.m.
Using Announcements in Moodle
The Announcement Forum is included in any new course by default. It is a centralized space in Moodle for messages sent from the instructor to students. It is the most efficient way of sending important course information to students, such as information and links about live sessions and other updates.
Only Instructors and TAs can use it to send course news and updates to students enrolled in the course. All messages are sent directly to students’ preferred email addresses. The messages are also archived in the Announcement forum so that you and all participants can see the history of announcements you have sent.
Note: If students have set their messaging notifications to not receive e-mail notifications, the e-mail will not be sent to them.
Follow the steps below to send an announcement to students.
1. Navigate to your Moodle home page.
2. Click Announcements in the top section of the course page.
3. Click the Add a new topic button.
The Announcements Editing window appears.
4. In the Subject line, write the topic of your message.
For example, if you are writing to let students know that the links for the live virtual classes are available, you can write: Live virtual class links available
Note: When students receive the message, the subject line always contains the Moodle course code at the beginning. For example, the message subject line would read: ABCD-201-A-2194>>Forums>>Announcements>>Live virtual class links available.
5. In the Message box, type the message for students.
Note: It is possible to add attachments to your message, but students will need to log into Moodle to view these, so it is not recommended. It is recommended to post the file to Moodle in the appropriate place and refer to it (or link to it) it in your announcement.
6. If you want students to receive the message immediately, select the Send forum post notifications with no editing-time delay.
If this box is not checked, there is a 30-minute delivery delay period wherein you can make edits to the message.
7. Click Post to forum to send the message.
The message will also be available to students by clicking on the Announcements link on the Moodle course homepage.
Using Messages in Moodle
Moodle has a private messaging system embedded into the platform. This allows you to communicate directly with individual students without needing their email address. Many students use this function to communicate with their instructors, so you may notice some message notifications via email or on your Moodle page.
When you send a message to someone, they will receive an email notification with the body of the message to their preferred email address if they are not logged into Moodle at the time the message is sent.
It is not possible to reply to messages from email.
***All users must sign in to Moodle to reply to or send a message.***
To view your messages within Moodle, on either the Moodle My home page or any course home page, on the top right, click the message icon next to your name. This button toggles the Messaging “drawer” – a sidebar with a list of your messages- on and off. You can also view your messages in full screen by clicking See all at the bottom of the Messaging drawer.
Note: A copy of the messages you receive within Moodle will be sent to your email address from a email@example.com address. If you send a response to this email, the student will not receive it.
To send a message to individual students, follow these steps:
1. Navigate to your Moodle course home page.
2. On the course home page, click the Participants link on the Navigation drawer (on the left-hand side of the page).
If the Navigation drawer is not visible on the left-hand side, click the navigation toggle in the top left-hand corner.
The Participants page appears, and all enrolled users are displayed.
3. In the First name/Surname column, click the name of the course participant you want to message.
Their profile page displays.
4. Click the Message link beside the participant’s name at the top.
5. On the Messaging Drawer, type your message into the box at the bottom, and click Send.
The message will be sent to the student’s individual page in Moodle and a copy of the message will also be sent to the student’s email address if they are not currently logged into Moodle.
- Moodle @ York University Training & Documentation Page - ***Excellent step-by-step instructions for many Moodle features.
- Concordia Moodle Help for Instructors (Moodle login required)