Ilona Jurkonytė is a Lithuania born film and moving image researcher and curator currently based in Montreal, Canada. 2015-2019 she was Vanier Scholar at Concordia University, where she is pursuing a PhD degree in the Film and Moving Image Program. Her background is in philosophy, communication studies, and art theory. Ilona’s academic research and curatorial practice inform each other. Her work critically examines tensions between notions of the national and transnational in moving image production and circulation, as well as their geo- and hydro- political implications. Her research interests include the analysis of military imaging and mapping, film and media participation in hydro-spatial politics, exposing discursive neocolonial tendencies, and research into potentials how film and media can render space of counter-politics to violence.
Besides her curatorial and academic engagement, Ilona works as a story editor and script consultant. She is particularly interested in the potentials of artists’ moving image and its contributions to audiovisual cultures. In collaboration with artist Santiago Reyes Villaveces Ilona is working on the artist moving image project The Goodwill Moon Rock Film Project (working title). Ilona is Co-founder (2007), Managing Director (2007-2012) and Artistic Director (2007-2019) of Kaunas International Film Festival (Lithuania), which was instrumental in rescuing Romuva, the oldest cinema theatre in Lithuania. Before starting her PhD studies, she worked as Film Program Curator at the Contemporary Art Centre Cinema (Vilnius, Lithuania). When not looking at screens, Ilona is dedicated to researching plants and perfecting ancient Baltic rye bread recipe.
Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship
Supervisor: Dr. Masha Salazkina
Thesis title: Discursive and Material Ocean: Film and Media Participation in Oceanic Regimes
- transnational film studies
- geo- and hydro- political implications of audiovisual cultures
- decolonizing film studies and practices
- artist moving image
- film curation
- 2021/01 – 05 Instructor: Topics in Independent Cinema: Film Curation and Knowledge Production, Mel Hoppenheim School of Cinema Concordia University.
- 2020/10/12 Guest Lecture in a module Landscape, Art and Politics, course Filmic Landscapes on Extractions and Interspecies Encounters. Instructor dr. Armina Pilav, The University of Sheffield.
- 2019/03/06 Guest Lecture in course Essay Film (MA). Professor dr. Luca Caminati. Mel Hoppenheim School of Cinema Concordia University.
- 2018/06 25 Tutor at Summer School Swamp Pavilion (Lithuanian Pavilion) at the 16th Venice Architecture Biennial. Summer School for students of MIT School of Architecture and Planning, Università Iuav di Venezia, Vytautas Magnus University (Kaunas). Curated a film program and discussion called Land, Water, Ice, Subsoil and the Submarine.
- 2010/02 Guest Lecturer in Creative Industries class at Vytautas Magnus University, Kaunas, Lithuania
- 2009/02 Guest Lecturer in Creative Industries class at Vytautas Magnus University, Kaunas, Lithuania
- 2020/09/01 – 12/30 Teaching Assistant. Course: Sexual Representation in Cinema. Instructor Nikola Stepić. Mel Hoppenheim School of Cinema Concordia University.
- 2020/01 – 05 Teaching Assistant. Course: Methods in Film Studies. Instructor dr. Randolph Jordan. Mel Hoppenheim School of Cinema Concordia University.
- 2019/01 – 05 Teaching Assistant. Course: Methods in Film Studies. Instructor dr. Randolph Jordan. Mel Hoppenheim School of Cinema Concordia University.
- 2017/09 – 12 Teaching Assistant. Course: Methods in Film Studies. Instructor dr. Maria Corrigan. Mel Hoppenheim School of Cinema Concordia University
- 2017/01 – 05 Teaching Assistant. Course: Film Directors. Instructor dr. Ezra Winton. Mel Hoppenheim School of Cinema Concordia University
2018/09 Initiator and organizer of the Academic Symposium “Film Festival and Public Space” in collaboration with Vytautas Magnus University in Kaunas, Lithuania and Concordia University in Montreal, Canada. Participants: Dr. Masha Salazkina, Dr. Alice O. Lovejoy, Barbara Wurm, Jason Fox.
2008/06 External BA Thesis Reviewer in arts program at Vilnius Academy of Fine Arts
2020 “Temperature of the War” to be published in the architecture theory journal Footprint published by TU Delft Faculty of Architecture and Built Environment
2019/10 “Cinema as Memory Place” in Where is Cinema? Artist book, created by Anouk De Clercq, published by Archive Books
2018/11 “Ways of Organizing: Cinematic Public Space” in World Records, Vol. 2
2018/06 “Land, Water, Ice, Subsoil and the Submarine” The Swamp School Manual(s) Futurity Island section (p. 11-14) 16th Venice Architecture Biennial
2016/12 Art project. Director of moving image work: In The Sea of Kaunas (3 min 11 sec) as part of A Group Exhibition in a Video: Portals… Or Location Scouting in Kaunas, curator Valentinas Klimašauskas, exhibited online Spike Art Magazine (www.spikeartmagazine.com).