The Intensive English Language Program will be a combination of in-person and remote learning for the academic calendar of 2021-2022.
Minimum requirements to take the course are a computer, functioning webcam, access to wifi or a data plan, and microphone. For more inquiries, please contact us
Intensive daytime program details- 260 course hours per level
- The Intensive English Language Program prepares students to enter English language universities or colleges and to offer language training to professionals or business people who require a high level of proficiency in English. Many of our students have conditional offers to Concordia University and choose to begin their Concordia journey in this program from Montreal or abroad.
- In this integrated-skills program, students build their English language proficiency skills by engaging in in-person, online and offline learning activities and projects with their peers and instructors. You’ll learn how to perform many tasks in this program such as refine your grammar and build your vocabulary skills, express your opinions, deliver stellar oral presentations, debate on hot-topic issues as well as learn strategies to help you succeed in your studies like reading academic and non-academic texts, write compositions, reports and essays.
- Students engage in projects to build 21st century/future skills to prepare for academic study and boost their employability prospects. Through these projects, you will develop learning and innovation skills, information media and technology skills and life and career skills.
- IELP levels are aligned with international language benchmarks. Elementary 1 (CEFR A2/IELTS 4); Elementary 2 (CEFR A2+/IELTS 4.5-5); Intermediate 1 (CEFR B1/IELTS 5); Intermediate 2 (CEFR B1+/IELTS 5.5 ); Advanced 1 (B2/IELTS 6-6.5); Advanced 2 (B2+-C1-/IELTS 6.5-7).
- Offered four times a year. Ten-week sessions offered in Fall, Winter, Spring and Summer.
- 26 hours per week of English instruction (in-person on campus, synchronous and asynchronous delivery)
On campus: Mondays/Wednesdays 9:00-3:45 and Fridays 9:00-12:00
Online: Tuesdays/Thursday 9:00-3:45
- To apply, you must complete the online application. A non-refundable deposit of $625, which is applied to the tuition fee, must accompany the application. Students will receive confirmation that they have been accepted to the program by e-mail.
- The deadline to pay the balance of tuition fees is no later than one week (7) days prior to the commencement of classes in order to guarantee a student’s place in the program.
- To be eligible for admission, students must be eighteen (18) years of age or older. Proof of age must be presented at the time of formal registration.
Attention International Students who wish to enrol in the Intensive English Language Program: Students applying from outside Canada are advised to begin the application process at least three months in advance, as requirements for obtaining a visa may vary from country to country. Under certain conditions, visitors to Canada may take courses for up to six (6) months without a Study Permit or CAQ.
Placement test required; an online placement test is sent to students prior to the beginning of the term. Tuition fees include testing and placement.
Completing the ESL Certificate has extensive benefits. You'll earn:
- Either the Certificate of Proficiency, awarded upon the successful completion (60%) of the Advanced 2 level, or
- The Certificate of Proficiency with Distinction, awarded to students who obtain a grade of 80% or more upon the completion of the Advanced 2 level.
These certificates teach you far-reaching skills to help:
- Kickstart your career and access global markets
- Apply for university credit programs at Concordia or other institutions.
- Enhance & broaden social interaction
We support and help international students from registration through to graduation. We offer guidance with financial questions, academic transcripts and any other questions you may have. As a Concordia student, you will also have access to a wide range of student services to help you make the most of your time! Contact us for more information.