Intro to Data Analysis with Excel
Course Code: CEBD 1300Success in business and science means making smart decisions. And those require the kind of information you can only get from sophisticated data analysis. It’s a growing field with huge opportunities. And it all starts right here. This course is where you’ll begin your journey in Big Data Business, learning everything you need to know to analyze, communicate and manage complex information using Microsoft Excel and its advanced analytics modules, visualization tools and external data sources. From there, you’ll move on to real-world business applications and more. But one step at a time. If you’re ready to begin, we’re ready for you! If you’re new to Big Data or only have the basics but want to take the Big Data Business Stream, we strongly recommend you start with this course. Seriously.
You will be required to do 5-10 hours of work per week outside of class time. If you have little or no prior knowledge, you might need extra time to gain familiarity with the concepts. But don’t worry. You’ve got this!
Your take-awayThis course is a great way to help you:
• Analyze, communicate and manage complex information using Microsoft Excel;
• Use advanced analytics to extract information from diverse types of data sources;
• Create data aggregations and dynamic visualizations for data analytics projects;
• Work collaboratively in multidisciplinary teams and present advanced analytics projects clearly and efficiently;
• Draw valuable insights from raw data for business purposes.
Our approachThis course employs student-centered, project-based learning that's focused on the acquisition of practical, real-world skills and not just theory. You'll get close, personalized instruction from an industry pro. This course is designed for the students to meet regularly during live synchronous learning in an online virtual classroom (Zoom).
Who benefits the most?• Anyone who wants to follow the Business stream in the Big Data program.
• Individuals who want to improve the performance of their organization using data.
• Professionals who want to leverage data for better decision-making.
• Entrepreneurs with projects that could benefit from data analytics.
• IT professionals who want to transition to data analytics from more traditional sectors.
Important detailsThere are a couple of easy yet crucial specifications needed to function in class:
1. Computer / laptop equipped with Windows 10 and Microsoft Excel (2019, English)
2. Processor - 1.6 Ghz, 2-core processor
3. Memory (RAM) - 4 GB (for Windows 64 bit) or 2 GB (Windows 32 bit)
4. Hard Disk Space - 4 GB available disk space
5. BYOD - Students need to request 1) Concordia email 2) free Excel license via Microsoft
6. As a benefit of being a Concordia student you can access the entire Microsoft Suite using the following link: https://www.concordia.ca/it/services/office-365-education.html
Concordia CCE Loyalty Discount
All students who meet at least one of the following conditions, will receive a 10% discount on their CCE course or workshop tuition fees:
1) Have completed a CCE, Undergraduate or Graduate course at Concordia University in a prior academic term;
2) Have completed a language proficiency test (IELTS) at CCE;
3) Have completed a CCE Professional Development Seminar/Workshop.
This discount is based on the information maintained in the Concordia University student information system.
NOTE: This discount does not apply to a language proficiency test enrollment (IELTS) nor to application fees for admission to a CCE program of study.
© Concordia University