Project Pandemic: Canada Reports on COVID-19
Project Pandemic is a Canada-wide data project aimed at supporting community preparedness by sharing data among local, regional and national news organizations.
The national effort assists news organizations by providing free up-to-the-minute maps, audience engagement tools and other resources.
The project harnesses a cooperative of 13 universities and colleges and the national broadcasters Global News, CTV and APTN, along with news organizations from coast to coast, including National Observer, Regina Leader-Post, Hamilton Spectator and La Presse.
All news organizations, no matter their size or capacity, are invited to join and access these tools by submitting their information on the Project Pandemic: Canada Reports on COVID-19 reporter application form.
Learn more at projectpandemic.concordia.ca.
A project of Concordia’s Institute for Investigative Journalism (IIJ), with the support of journalism schools nationwide, the Canadian Association of Journalists (CAJ) and Esri Canada.
- National Observer: Poverty and COVID-19: More data would help explain the connection (May 12, 2020)
- Global News: Coronavirus: Ontario’s worst hit nursing homes and who owns them (June 16, 2020)
- Global News: Many Saskatchewan First Nations residents are travelling hours to get coronavirus treatment (July 3, 2020)
- Prince Albert Daily Herald: Report finds 28 Sask. First Nations more than 50 km away from COVID-19 care facility (July 3, 2020)
- Saskatoon Star Phoenix: Report finds 28 Sask. First Nations more than 50 km away from COVID-19 care facility (July 3, 2020)
- Actualités UQAM: Journaliste de données en temps de pandémie (July 13, 2020)
- Prince Albert Daily Herald: Petition calling for better, targeted COVID-19 supports for Indigenous communities gaining steam (July 17, 2020)
- Global News: Over 500 coronavirus cases connected to public places in Canada since July 4, data shows (August 11, 2020)
- Global News: Novel coronavirus detected or spread in 37 public Saskatchewan locations since July (August 12, 2020)
- Global News: Many COVID-19 cases resulting from public spaces, Concordia University research shows (August 13, 2020)
- Global Investigative Journalism Network: Data Journalism Top Ten (April 30, 2020)
- La Presse: Cartes et rapports du Canada sur la COVID-19 (April 30, 2020)
- CTV: Project Pandemic: Reporting on COVID-19 in Canada (May 7, 2020)
- Saskatoon StarPhoenix: Project Pandemic: See how COVID-19 is affecting Saskatchewan (May 8, 2020)
- CTV: Is public health a privilege? (May 12, 2020)
- Global News: Journalism initiative tracking remote cases of COVID-19 (May 22, 2020)
- Global News: 'From here to the box': Seniors voice terrifying concerns on long-term care amid COVID-19’ (June 8, 2020)
- Global News: Quebec health minister to review why officials paid for advice on how to talk about coronavirus (June 30, 2020)
- Global News: Montreal officials used emergency powers to pay for advice on what to say about coronavirus deaths (July 7, 2020)
- CTV: More than 500 COVID-19 infections in Canada linked to exposures at public places, new data suggests (August 10, 2020)
- La Presse: COVID-19 : hausse « spectaculaire » des expositions depuis juillet au Québec (August 11, 2020)
- The Signal (Halifax): For long-term care homes in Manitoba and Saskatchewan, COVID came later, then hit hard (May 6, 2021)
- Humber StoryLab (Humber College, Toronto): How Project Pandemic Calculated “Distance From Care” for COVID-19 Cases - Presented by Jaida Beaudin-Herney
- 2020 - Esri Canada - App of the Month - Project Pandemic: Canada Reports on COVID-19