Marcelle Ferron (1924-2001)
The Permanent Memorial for the Six Million Jewish Martyrs of the Nazi Holocaust, 1970
Medium: Stained glass
Dimensions: 548.64 x 213.36 cm
Patron: Canadian Jewish Congress
About the Artwork
To symbolize the atrocity, this Holocaust memorial has an abstract, multi-coloured design that shows the denigration of each letter of the word “shalom” (meaning “peace” in Hebrew). Ferron commented that the red glass surrounding the broken letters represents fire and the upper section provides a sun of hope. A lightning bolt connects the two sections, and the colour becomes lighter as the design moves upwards.
About the Artist
Marcelle Ferron was a painter, stained glass artist and major figure in the Quebec modern art scene. She was an early member of the Automatistes, led by Paul-Émile Borduas.
Campus: Sir George Williams (Quartier Concordia)
Location: Lobby, Samuel Bronfman House
Address: 1590 Dr. Penfield Avenue