Building Engineering Graduate Certificate
Applicants to a certificate must hold a bachelor’s degree in engineering or architecture or equivalent with an above-average standing. The Department will recommend on the acceptability of an applicant for admission to the program and may require the applicant to do specific remedial course work to meet the program requirements.
Requirements for the Certificate
The program can be completed in one year. Students with high standing in their bachelor program and whose academic records satisfy the requirements for good standing in the Master’s Program in Building Engineering may apply for transfer to the Master’s program.
- Credits. A fully qualified candidate is required to complete a minimum of 16 credits.
- Courses. Candidates in the graduate certificate program must take 12 credits of core courses in an area of concentration while the balance of 4 credits may be chosen from the elective list or other courses offered by the Department. Core courses for which credits have been credited to another certificate or program must be replaced by elective courses in the area of concentration or by other courses on special permission.
- Academic Standing. Please refer to the Academic Standing section of the Calendar for a detailed review of the Academic Regulations.
Program Specific Requirements. An Assessment Grade Point Average (AGPA) of at least 2.70, based on a minimum of 8 credits is required.
- Time Limit. Please refer to the Academic Regulation page for further details regarding the Time Limit requirements.
- Graduation. To be eligible to graduate, students must have obtained a CGPA of at least 2.70.
Building Science. Core courses: BLDG 6611, 6621*, 6751*.
Electives: BLDG 6651*, 6721*, 6731*, 7401, ENGR 6601, 6661.
Building Envelope. Core courses: BLDG 6601, 6611, 6661.
Electives: BLDG 6061, 6071, 6591*, 6621*, 6731, 6671.
Construction Management. Core courses: BLDG 6561*, 6571, 6831*.
Electives: BLDG 6581, 6801, 6811*, 6821*, 6851, 6861.
Energy Efficiency. Core courses: BLDG 6661, 6701, 6711.
Electives: BLDG 6611, 6741, 6761, 6781, 6951, ENGR 6601, 6811.
Indoor Environment. Core courses: BLDG 6701, 6731*, 6751*.
Electives: BLDG 6111, 6661, 6721*, 6791, ENGR 6601, CIVI 6601.
Rehabilitation of Urban Infrastructure. Core courses: BLDG 6831, 6921, 6931.
Electives: BLDG 6801, 6581, 7601, CIVI 6101, CIVI 6541, MECH 6501.
Facility Management. Core course: BLDG 6631, 6561, 6711.
Electives: BLDG 6581, 6701, 6741, 6751, 6761, 6111, 6781. One course from E72 may be taken with permission from GPD.
* This course cannot be taken for credit by students who have completed the undergraduate equivalent.