Mental Health Services
Are you in crisis?
If you’re experiencing mental or emotional distress, don’t wait! Call:
- If you are experiencing an emergency situation that requires police, an ambulance, or the fire department dial 9-1-1. For non-urgent calls to the police in the Montreal area dial 514-280-2222.
- Crisis Centers of Québec: bilingual services for people in crisis, as well as their loved ones and caregivers. Includes telephone support, temporary housing, follow-up, and more. 514-483-3033 (If this is not your sector's crisis center, do not worry! They will refer you to the appropriate one.)
- Suicide Action Montreal: Everywhere in Quebec, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week: 1-866-277-3553. Regional line in Montreal: 514-723-4000.
- Tel-Aide: Bilingual, listening services: 514-935-1101.
- Drug and alcohol help: Speak with a trained counselor 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, bilingual, toll-free everywhere in Quebec: 1-800-265-2626. Montreal area: 514-527-2626.
- Info-Social: Speak with a social worker 24 hours a day, 7 days a week; they will give you advice and help you decide what to do about your difficult life situation. Dial 811.
- Tel-Jeunes: Phone and text-based counselling and support for young people ages 20 years & under. Bilingual. Speak with a professional counselor 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. 1-800-263-2266; 514-600-1002 for text support (available between 8 am and 11 pm).
- Kids Help Phone: Phone and live chat web/mobile counselling for young people ages 20 years & under. Speak with a professional counselor 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. 1-800-668-6868.
- Interligne "is a first response centre that provides help and information to those concerned with sexual orientation and gender diversity." Services include a listening helpline (Montreal 514-866-0103/Toll free 1-888-505-1010), online chat support and e-mail support (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Concordia Students' Nightline. Active listening service to all Concordians and Montreal citizens."We listen to whatever you have to say, judgement free! Your information stays confidential and anonymous!" Friday and Saturday from 6pm to 3am. 514-437-9797.
- Empower Me is a mental health and wellness service that allows students to connect with qualified counsellors, consultants, and life coaches for a variety of issues. Sessions are delivered in person, by telephone, by video-counselling, or by e-counselling. Services are availabel 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Empower Me is available to Concordia undergraduate and graduate students who are enrolled in the Concordia Student Health Plan as well as international students who have opted into the student dental plan. 1-844-741-6389 (Toll free).
At Health Services
Drop in to Health Services to meet with a nurse who will assess your mental health needs and guide you to the appropriate resources, which include our mental health team (e.g. a psychologist, psychiatrists or a doctor), other Concordia departments or resources outside the university. A referral from a doctor at Health Services is required to book an appointment with the psychiatrists.
If you are a student who is searching for counselling on personal issues you can contact Counselling and Psychological Services directly, no referral is needed. Multi Faith Chaplaincy offers one-on-one consultation for your questions and concerns in matters of faith, spirituality, values, ethics and the self.
Faculty and staff members who are looking for counselling (and are eligible for health benefits at Concordia) can access therapists through Concordia's Employee Assistance Program.
The Applied Psychology Center is the in-house training clinic of the Psychology department. Therapy and counselling services are provided by psychology interns and psychologists.
The Access Centre for Students with Disabilities is another resource for students with mental health conditions. These students can register with the Access Centre and receive academic accommodations and support, like coaching, tutoring and individualized learning help.
All Concordia students covered by the different Concordia student health plans are offered psychological services in the community:
- Undergrad students have some coverage through the Concordia student health insurance plan
- International students have some coverage through the Blue Cross Health Insurance Plan (p. 3 of the policy booklet)
- Concordia undergraduate and graduate students who are enrolled in the Concordia Student Health Plan (including international students who pay only for the dental coverage!) have access to counsellors 24/7, 365 days per year through Empower me: see your specific health plan for more information (studentcare.ca). 1-844-741-6389 (Toll free).
Explore your health plan’s website to learn about what you are paying for, and use it. You can use your coverage while waiting for counselling services on-campus, or after you have reached the maximum number of sessions available on-campus.
Students covered by the CSU and GSA health plans are given preferred rates at PsyMontreal. There are also many psychology centers in the community that charge on a sliding scale (they give discounts depending on income), such as Argyle, The Emotional Health CBT Cliniic, and the Montreal Therapy Center. You can access these affordable mental health resources whether you have coverage or not.
You do have to pay up-front for therapy in the community. But by submitting your claims using your insurance plan's app and by registering for direct deposits, you can get your reimbursements back quickly.
There are many other mental health resources in Montreal. The Information and Referral Center of Greater Montreal can help you find the resources you need: from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., 7 days a week, call 211 OR if 211 does not work on your cell phone, call 514 527-1375.
Need more information?
For links to online resources to learn about mental health issues, including mental illness, consult Mental Health Resources.
If you have to consult a health professional when our offices are closed, consult our After-Hours section.
- Health Services
- Urgent care
- Mental health services
- Medical notes
- Patient resources
- Healthy Living
- About us
- Medical services