International Postdoctoral Fellows
All invited non-Canadian Postdoctoral Fellows must apply for and hold a valid Citizenship and Immigration Canada work permit to legally work in Canada, and must secure the work permit prior to arriving at Concordia University to undertake their appointment. Please see our Guidelines for Postdoctoral Fellows
Work permit application procedure
In order to obtain a Canadian work permit, international Postdoctoral Fellows must:
- Obtain a letter of invitation for a postdoctoral appointment from a Concordia University Faculty. The letter of invitation from the Faculty should state that you are being invited as a Postdoctoral Fellow, the duration of your appointment, and the total amount/source of stipend that you will be receiving. If you are receiving funding from a source outside of Canada, the source of funding and total stipend/salary should be indicated in the letter of invitation You will use this letter in support of your application for a valid work permit
- Obtain the Offer of employment number from the Postdoctoral Development Coordinator once the Foreign National Exempt from a Labour Market Impact Assessment Form is completed and the $230 compliance fee is paid by the potential supervisor
- Complete the Canadian Citizenship and Immigration work permit application and submit as directed
- As a Postdoctoral Fellow, you will not need a Certificate of Acceptance in the Province of Quebec (Certificat d’acceptation du Québec)
- It is the sole responsibility of the Postdoctoral Fellow to obtain, and maintain throughout their tenure, all required legal documentation from Citizenship and Immigration Canada
Renewing your work permit
International postdocs must ensure that they hold a valid work permit for the entirety of their appointment. You must file your application for a renewed work permit with Citizenship and Immigration Canada within a sufficient timeframe. This also applies to accompanying spouses/dependents.
Work permits for spouses/dependents
Tax Exemption for Foreign Postdoctoral Trainees
Foreign Postdoctoral Fellows in certain disciplines may qualify for a provincial tax exemption. Eligibility criteria as well as the application are available through the Quebec Ministère de l'Éducation et de l'Enseignement supérieur. Please submit your application and supporting documentation to the Postdoctoral Development Coordinator by February 15tth each year. Please note that the tax exemption must be renewed yearly.