- Honours in Finance — 30 credits*
- Major in Finance — 24 credits
- Minor in Finance — 12 credits
Finance programs familiarize students with all aspects of financial management and decision making. Students learn how corporations make financial decisions and how individual investors can select and manage their investment opportunities. Students have the opportunity to become familiar with the increasingly important fields of derivative securities and the management of financial services industries.
Students learn basic concepts through lectures, case studies, and simulation exercises and may specialize in one of the following areas of finance: corporate finance, investments, financial institutions, derivatives, and international finance.
* Students are eligible to apply to the honours program if they have completed FINA 385, 395, and six additional credits in Finance. Applicants must have achieved a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.3 and a minimum GPA of 3.5 in their Finance courses. Enrolment in this program is limited. The selection process may include recommendations from faculty members as well as applicant interviews.
Sample courses include:
Theory of Finance I & II, Investment Analysis, Portfolio Management, Mergers and Acquisitions, Real Estate Investment and Finance, Trading in Financial Securities, Multinational Financial Management
Finance Co-op Program
This program familiarizes students with all aspects of domestic and international financial management and decision making for corporations and individuals. Students gain experience in corporate finance, investments, financial institutions, derivatives, and international finance.
Work tasks may include:
- Performing market comparisons
- Assessing foreign exchange risk
- Conducting company valuations
- Supporting preparation of financial reports
- Providing advice to clients regarding their financial services objectives
- Dealing with financial risk management
- Participating in international finance decisions
- Working as an investment portfolio assistant
- Monitoring exchange and interest rates
- Trading in currencies on the global market
Finance (BComm - Honours/Major/Minor) requirements: Minimum cut-off averages, admission statistics and program requirements.
Commercial Banking, Retail Banking, Corporate Finance, Financial Planning, Hedge Fund Management, Insurance and Risk Management, Investment Banking, Money Management, Private Equity Management, Real Estate Management, Mergers and Acquisitions, Entrepreneur, Market or Securities Analyst
See the BComm degree description for more information on the core and elective requirements.
Undergraduate admissions guidelines: For information on international admission, required documents, proof of language proficiency, the university admissions timetable, selection and notification process.