Reading Room rules
To ensure the long-term preservation of archival documents, it is important to follow the rules listed below.
- Leave coats, parcels, briefcases, and other similar belongings at the coat rack. Just keep what you need to take notes. Electronic devices are allowed.
- No food or beverages allowed.
- No documents are to be removed from the research area.
- Use pencils only.
- Do not annotate or dirty documents.
- Use only one box at a time.
- Maintain order; do not mix or reclassify documents.
- Report any accident or damage to a document to the staff immediately.
- Personal photography is permitted for scholarly or personal use only. Permission to photograph is dependent on the condition of the item, copyright, and donor agreements. Always verify with the reading room staff that copies are permitted.*
- Flash photography is not permitted.
- Tripods, lighting, and other equipment may not be used in the Reading Room.
- Cell phone ringers must be turned off. Please answer calls outside the RMA department.
- Handle the enclosure or the container rather than the documents.
- Do not lean on documents or archives boxes.
- Do not place your note pad or electronic equipment on top of documents.
- Replace documents you are not using into file folders and boxes.
- Realign papers manually before returning the file folder to a box.
- Do not use a wet finger to switch pages.