JMSB LIFE Buddy Program
The Buddy Program is an integral part of the JMSB LIFE initiative. A Buddy is a senior JMSB student who is grouped with first year JMSB international students (mentorees) for one term.
- To assist international students with the transition to university and to Montreal
- To foster cross-cultural relationships between local and international students
- To enhance students’ leadership and communication skills
See what JMSB students say about their buddy experience.
- A Buddy is a point of contact for general inquiries and facilitates the transition to university life by sharing basic knowledge and offering support.
- A Buddy provides a friendly and familiar face, and helps mentorees transition to their new surroundings and helps establish a sense of belonging.
- A Buddy projects a positive attitude and encourages mentorees to become involved in socio-cultural campus activities.
- A Buddy participates in JMSB LIFE activities throughout the semester, and is a role model and an ambassador to JMSB and the program.
- Students who wish to become a Buddy must complete the Buddy application form as well as meet certain criteria.
- Buddies will be introduced to their mentorees at the orientation sessions that take place before each term. The 2017-18 orientations will take place on August 29 & 30, 2017 (FALL) and on January 4, 2018 (WINTER).
- Emphasis is placed on grouping Buddies and mentorees who are in the same program of study.
In order to be selected as a Buddy, a student must:
- Be willing to commit to a full semester of participation in JMSB LIFE activities
- Have a cumulative GPA over 2.7
- Take pride in Concordia and JMSB
- Be friendly, personable and dependable
- Demonstrate cross-cultural awareness and be a positive role model
- Be available to attend a half-day training session one week prior to the orientation
- Engage in community service
- Make cross-cultural connections
- Develop leadership and mentorship skills
- A half-day training session will take place prior to both the Fall and Winter term orientations.
- Buddy training for the fall orientaiton will take place on Monday, August 28 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m in room MB 4.206.
- At the end of a Buddies mandate, he/she will be invited to the Dean’s Buddy Recognition cocktail where they will receive a Certificate of Recognition for their contribution to JMSB LIFE.
- The Buddy Program qualifies for the CCR - Co-Curricular Record. As such, all participants will have the entry marked on their transcripts indicating their volunteerism in this valuable activity.