1. Why did you choose the GCE? Where were you at in your career, and what made you decide to pursue it?
I had recently graduated in France with a Fine arts degree. I had learned a lot in my program, however I felt it lacked information on the business, administrative and marketing side of being an artist. I learned of this program on artere.com , and saw that this entrepreneurial program provided the tools that I was looking for.
2. What was your degree/training before starting the GCE? What was your work experience before starting the GCE?
I graduated in Biarritz, France, with a DNAP in fine arts (diplôme national d’arts plastique) which is the equivalent of a graduates degree in fines arts.
3. Explain your business venture, what kind of business are you looking to start in this program?
My Business consists of working with local restaurants and cafes. I plan to organize art events on location as a means of promotion, this will consequently bring in an new clientele.
For the clientele, this provides a fines arts and fine dining experience.
For the restaurant or cafe, this provides an opportunity to gain a new clientele.For the artists being exposed, this provides a location to promote and sell there work.
4. What has been the biggest surprise in this program for you? What are the biggest lessons you’ve learned so far?
My biggest surprise in this program was learning about all the tool available in Montreal to start a business. The biggest lesson I learned so far is that there are specific steps needed to start any business.
5. Has your business idea shifted far from your initial idea, throughout the program?
I originally wanted to create an artist run studio. However, after the first couple of classes I realized that it wasn't completely realistic to start so big right away. If I want to build something on my own right now, with little financial investment, I need to start small and build from there.
6. How would you describe the classroom environment and teachers in the GCE program?
Because it is a small class, you feel that you can build a direct relationship with your teachers and classmates. Also, it allows the courses to be directed towards your specific business venture.
7. How do you feel about starting your business venture once you’ve completed the program?
Because of the way the program is set, I don't feel like I need to wait to start my business. I am already starting to build the foundations. The classes provide the feedback I need to start my business alongside it.
8. What advice would you have for students considering starting the program?
Don’t view yourself as a student, you already have a degree. Your not doing this for the grades or the certificate, your doing it for yourself and to be able to build your dream. This program will provide you with the tools you need to make that dream a reality.