Concordia University has licensed Sophos Anti-Virus software for the entire University community. Sophos Anti-Virus software can be installed on any computer owned by the University for University purposes through the MyConcordia portal. Sophos also provides a free home-use version of their anti-virus software. This is available to all users directly from the Sophos website.
Who can use it?
Active faculty, staff, and students
How much does it cost?
There is no cost associated with this service.
How to get it
- To request the installation of Sophos Anti-Virus on a university owned computer, contact your department IT-representative or the IT Service Desk
- Sophos Anti-Virus for work use is also available to download via the MyConcordia Portal:
- Log into the MyConcordia Portal (www.myconcordia.ca).
- Click on Software and Applications.
- Click on Sophos Anti-Virus.
- Select Sophos for Windows, Mac, or Linux depending on your OS.
- Select Sophos work use.
Note: The Sophos home use link available on this page will redirect to the Sophos website.
- Agree to the terms and conditions page.
- Click on ‘here’ to download the application.
- The home use version of Sophos is available via the Sophos website.
Terms of the agreement: Effective August 12, 2016 and ending on August 11, 2019.
What is the Sophos Educational License?
- The educational license is a subscription licensing program for higher educational institutions.
- It is a simple way to get Sophos Anti-Virus software to faculty, staff and students.
Overview of the Sophos Educational License
- Term of the Agreement: thirty-six (36) months, effective August 12, 2016 and ending on August 11, 2019. The Agreement can subsequently be renewed or upgraded.
- The cost of the Sophos Educational License is based on the maximum number of computers owned by the University.
- The Sophos Anti-Virus software can be installed on any computer owned by the University at no cost to faculty and staff for University purposes.
Software products covered by the Sophos Educational License
Sophos Anti-Virus is the only software product covered by this license.
Installation of this software is made by University IT staff only after a user request is sent to them. Only the English version of this software will be deployed on University owned computers. At no time will IITS (or any University IT staff) distribute software products in any format (CD, DVD, ISO image, etc.).
Any purchase request for anti-virus software of any brand to be deployed on a University owned computer(s) or server(s) WILL NOT BE AUTHORIZED by the University’s Purchasing Services Department.
If you downloaded the Sophos home use software from the MyConcordia portal before October 18, 2017, it's suggested that you uninstall it from your device and install the Sophos Home software available directly from Sophos.
To access the Sophos Home client, register for an account and download it from the Sophos website.