Concordia University

Incoming Student Exchange Program

Are you an international student looking to come to Concordia University on exchange for a semester or two? If so, the following section of this website is for you and covers information on eligibility requirements, how to apply, frequently asked questions and more!

To apply to Concordia as an exchange student, you must meet the following minimum requirements:

  • Your home institution must have a student exchange agreement with Concordia. If you are unsure, then you must check with your home institution’s office responsible for student exchanges.
  • All students should have an equivalent of a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 3.00 (B) (based on a 4.3 GPA) in the year of application. 
  • Your home institution must nominate you to study at Concordia on exchange.
  • Meet the following English Proficiency requirements for Direct Admission:
  • Students wishing to study on exchange in the Faculty of Fine Arts should visit the Fine Arts website for more information on any portfolio requirements.
  • The application deadline for admission to the following Academic Year (for the Fall Semester or Winter Semester), is April 1. Please submit your Incoming Student Exchange Application online by the end of the day on April 1.
  • Please note that it is not possible to apply for an exchange that starts in January and ends in December, as Concordia University’s academic year begins in September and ends in April and that we do not accept applications for the Summer semester.


Please be advised that Concordia University is required to keep its exchanges balanced on an institutional basis. Before applying to Concordia for exchange, you should contact your home institution’s exchange office.     



Calendar: The Academic Year at Concordia starts in September and ends in April. It is divided into two semesters: Fall Semester (September through December) and Winter Semester (January through April). Most courses last only one semester, but some last for the full Academic Year. Most exchange students come to Concordia for one semester, but can apply to come for one full Academic Year. If you are admitted for only one semester, you cannot register for courses that last the entire Academic Year. Please visit the following websites for a list of important dates, including semester start and end dates and holidays.

Undergraduate course load: You must take a minimum of 12 or a maximum of 15 credits each semester, which normally equals 4-5 courses worth 3 credits each. Most students take around 15 credits, or 5 courses. Taking more than 15 credits is not advisable and may not be possible. When you apply, you should list at least 6 courses you would like to take while here. You should not include graduate courses on your list as you will not be able to register for them.

Graduate student course load: You must take at least 8 graduate credits while here. Most students take 9 credits or 3 courses. When you apply, you should list at least 4 courses you would like to take. You should not list undergraduate courses as they do not count towards the minimum 8 graduate credits required for registration.

Applicants to the MBA program must take a minimum of 12  credits per semester which normally equals 4 courses worth 3 credits each.

Courses and descriptions: Please visit the appropriate website for you.

Course schedule: You can view the latest Concordia course schedule online. If you are trying to select courses for a future semester not yet appearing, then please assume that most of the courses listed on the current schedule will be offered during the same semester(s) for future academic years. The schedule is normally updated in March for the following academic year.

Restricted Courses: Not all of Concordia’s courses are open to exchange students. When selecting which courses you would like to take at Concordia, please keep the following lists of restrictions in mind.

Submit Your Online Application

Required application documents (to be uploaded to the Online Application Form):

  • Personal Statement in English, one page maximum
  • Academic transcript of records
  • Proof of English language proficiency, if applicable
  • Official Permission Letter from Home University to study at Concordia and to take courses listed in this application
  • Academic Reference
  • Curriculum Vitae, only for applicants to the MBA program
  • Photocopy of passport identification page
  • Certificate of Bachelor/Master Degree, if applicable


After you have submitted your online application, you should see a confirmation that your application was successfully submitted. We begin processing applications after the April 1st deadline, and send out responses during the end of May or in early June.


In general, course registration at Concordia takes place online. You will receive registration instructions in your admission letter. Some students might be required to contact an advisor to register for al or certain courses. You are strongly advised to register for courses as soon as you are told that you can do so. If you wait to register for courses later or until after you arrive at Concordia, be advised that most courses will be full and closed for registration. It is your responsibility to read all information as soon as you receive and to act promptly on it.

For more information and instructions on how to register, please visit the Registrar’s website for Registration Instructions.


I was admitted into the exchange program at Concordia but I was not granted permission to take certain courses. What do I do?

You are not guaranteed permission to register for your courses at Concordia as both classroom capacity and pre-requisite requirements can be a limit your access to certain courses. If you have been admitted to Concordia, then you must understand that flexibility in your course selection is a MUST. We would recommend alternative courses available to you.

How do I register for my courses?

Once you receive your official letter of permission form Concordia University, you must set up your MyConcordia portal and contact the academic advisor for each department in which you wish to take courses in order to receive permission to take those courses. You do NOT register for courses through the course’s Moodle site.  

Can  register for courses that I did not list on my application?

In general, you should register for courses in the departments that you originally listed on your application. If you wish to register for courses that are in departments that you did not originally list on your application, it is best to stick to lower level (200 level) courses.  You MUST contact the department advisor for all courses that you wish to register for.

Do I have to apply for the Permanent Code if I am only coming as an exchange student?

Yes, all students studying in Quebec, regardless of the amount of time that they will be studying in Quebec, must apply for a permanent code. See more information about applying for your Permanent Code.

Do I have to pay Concordia University’s Health Insurance fee or can I have it waived if I am covered by my home university or parent?

Immigration Quebec regulations require that all international students be covered by a health insurance plan that meets government standards while studying in Quebec. Personal health insurance plans are not accepted.

How much do I pay for health Insurance and when do I pay?

Health insurance fees are charged automatically when students register for courses. For the most current health insurance rates and other useful information, please visit the International Students Office website.

Do I have to pay the full amount of health insurance for the year if I will be on exchange for only one semester?

No, once you present yourself to the International Students’ Office (ISO) for orientation, the ISO will adjust your health insurance fee for the single semester ($405 CDN).

Can I apply for student residence?

Yes, there is a $100 non-refundable application fee. The spots for residences are limited, and therefore there are no guarantees that you will be assigned a room. See more information on Concordia University’s student residence and application process. Please note that you can only apply for residence once you have been assigned a Concordia Student ID.

Do I have to arrive at Concordia early for orientation?  On what date is orientation held?

All exchange students must attend the WISE (Welcome International Students Events) held by Concordia’s International Students Office.  Times and dates of the sessions vary, as some are held before the start of classes and others are held after classes begin.  Please see the current International Student Orientation schedule. Please note that though it is mandatory to attend an International Student Orientation session, you can choose to attend any session that best suits you, whether it be before or after courses begin.  Therefore you are not required to arrive at Concordia early, although giving yourself a couple of days to settle in before the semester starts is always advisable.   For more information regarding International Student Orientation sessions, please contact the International Students Office:

Are there any funding opportunities for me?

Funding options are available from various sources, although Concordia itself does not offer any scholarships or busaries to incoming exchange students. Please refer to your home institution for more funding opportunities.



Back to top

© Concordia University