Candidates will receive an email confirmation when submitting their application online. However, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. Please allow one (1) working day from the time you send in your application to receive an email confirmation.
THEATRE-FACULTY OF FINE ARTS
PROPERTIES TECHNICIAN (CT027)
Deadline: May 24, 2019
This position represents a seasonal temporary employment effective from August 19, 2019 to December 20, 2019 and from January 6, 2020 to May 8, 2020.
Reporting to the Technical Supervisor Performance Production, the incumbent provides technical support and training to students assigned to teaching and research activities related to properties facilities and resources. He/she assists and advises the students on choice of building techniques and materials for their proposed designs.
- Ensure upkeep of assigned workshop equipment and facilities.
- Ensure that student designs can be executed within the allocated budget for a class or public performance outcome.
- Provide technical support to assigned teaching activities related to properties facilities and resources.
- Establish, maintain and enforce all relevant health & safety standards within the properties facilities.
- Supervise and participate in the selection of all casual and student assistant staff.
- Attend production meetings and rehearsals as required in order to liaise with other members of the production team.
- Assist the students as they conduct research into options for borrowing or rentals of properties and accessories.
- Plan and buy materials required for the production of properties.
- Coordinate the transportation and readiness of properties elements in performance venues with other departments, and the students assigned to the various positions for an outcome.
- Diploma of Collegial Studies (3-year technical program) in Apparel Production Management or Properties design or National Theatre School of Canada Certificate and four to seven years related work experience in production design OR a Bachelor's degree in Theatre or in another field relevant to the primary responsibilities and two to four years of related experience.
- Previous experience in an academic environment desirable.
- Experience as Head of Properties for a professional theatre company is an asset.
- Experience as a properties designer in Performing Arts.
- Experience in sculpting, molding, casting, wood-working, furniture construction, sewing soft goods and electrical wiring, painting: faux-fini, texture & patina, mask-making, puppetry, creating costume pieces e.g. armor & helmets, headpieces.
- Knowledge of historical periods, antiques and scenic design
- Visual acuity to distinguish colour, texture and patterns
- Good knowledge (Level 4) of spoken English and French in order to communicate effectively with and provide information to design students.
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel; knowledge of Adobe Creative Suites (Mac and PC) and other creative software applications.
- Superior communication, organizational, time management and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Ability to work flexible hours.
- Valid Driver's license
- Will require use of respiratory protection and enrollment in the University’s Respiratory Protection Program
- Will require use of hearing protection enrollment in the University’s Hearing Conservation Program
- Have physical ability to lift/carry/move without assistance up to 23 kg (50 lbs.) and with assistance over 45 kg (100 lbs.)
Interested applicants must submit a curriculum vitae with a covering letter by May 24, 2019. Please click on the How to Apply button below for further instructions.
IMPORTANT: The language and computer skills of short-listed candidates will be tested.
Concordia University is committed to Employment Equity and encourages applications from women, Aboriginal Peoples, visible minorities, ethnic minorities, and persons with disabilities.
- Working at Concordia
- Current opportunities
- Employment equity
- Immigration guide for faculty
- Current opportunities