Candidates will receive an email confirmation when submitting their application online. However, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. Please allow one (1) working day from the time you send in your application to receive an email confirmation.
ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH AND SAFETY
ASSISTANT HAZARDOUS WASTE DISPOSAL TECHNICIAN (C4679)
Deadline: March 5, 2019
This posting represents a one-year full-time contract position.
Reporting to the Manager, Environmental Health and Safety (Loyola), the incumbent assists with the distribution of hazardous materials and collection of hazardous waste at both SGW and Loyola campuses of Concordia University.
- Assist with the receiving and barcoding of hazardous materials (specifically chemicals and biologicals), includes entering data into the university`s central hazardous materials inventory database.
- Maintain cleanliness of work areas.
- Assist with the distribution of hazardous materials to clients and provide support with storage of these materials, as required.
- Assist with the collection of hazardous waste (chemical, radioactive, biomedical) and ensures proper completion of internal hazardous waste disposal documentation.
- Assist with the removal of hazardous materials from the university’s central hazardous materials inventory database.
- Assist with the preparation and delivery of the replacement hazardous waste collection containers with appropriate identification.
- Report questionable quantities of hazardous materials, unsafe storage conditions to supervisor.
- Assist with the response to hazardous materials spills and assists with post-spill clean-up.
- Help maintain hazardous materials spill response equipment by conducting regular inventory and inspection of the material, which may include decontamination.
- Assist with the maintenance of hazardous waste collection of supplies and equipment; as well as compiles a list of items to be purchased.
- Operate lifting equipment of various sizes, including drum carts.
- Attend EHS Laboratory Safety Team meetings.
- High School certification with two to four years of relevant experience.
- First aid training an asset.
- Experience working with hazardous materials desirable.
- Knowledge of chemicals and chemical safety; knowledge workplace health and safety regulations are assets (particularly Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System and Transportation of Dangerous Goods)
- Good communications skills and ability to work as part of a team.
- Good knowledge (Level 3) of spoken and written English and French.
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Attention to detail, ability to work independently.
- Demonstrated pro-active attitude and problem-solving skills.
- Physical ability to perform primary responsibilities (e.g. lifting 20-L containers; moving 205-L drums) attested by successful completion of medical evaluation to the University’s satisfaction.
- Enrolled in the university’s Respiratory Protection Program.
$33,800.00 - $41,140.00 per annum
Interested applicants must submit a curriculum vitae with a covering letter by March 5, 2019. Please click on the How to Apply button below for further instructions.
IMPORTANT: The language and computer skills of short-listed candidates will be tested.
Concordia University is committed to Employment Equity and encourages applications from women, Aboriginal Peoples, visible minorities, ethnic minorities, and persons with disabilities.
- Working at Concordia
- Current opportunities
- Employment equity
- Immigration guide for faculty
- Current opportunities