Candidates will receive an email confirmation when submitting their application online. However, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. Please allow one (1) working day from the time you send in your application to receive an email confirmation.
ENGINEER, HVAC SYSTEMS (C4628)
Deadline: March 8, 2019
Repost. This posting represents a full-time five-year contract position.
Reporting to the Manager, Renovation Projects, the incumbent oversees the mechanical HVAC systems engineering on new construction and renovation projects at the University. He/she participates in all phases of construction projects including: mechanical scope definition, feasibility studies, business case support, pre-concept mechanical solutions, coordination with external professional during design development and the review of mechanical documents for construction.
- Lead specific mechanical-engineering projects or programs through internal conceptual design initiatives for Facilities Management. Investigate and recommend conceptual design changes, methods and improvements of architectural projects.
- Manage a series of project feasibility studies, business cases and strategic development projects for mechanical construction of renovation projects.
- Provide technical planning advice, guidance and support to internal clients, discuss needs and analyze requirements. Conceptualize, develop and design pre-concept solutions to meet client needs, code requirements and facilities management standards.
- Lead teams composed of internal clients and services and external professionals to the successful completion of project studies and scope definitions.
- Prepare budgetary cost estimates for master plans, feasibility studies and business plans for construction/renovation projects, in collaboration with other members of the department.
- Review drawings and specifications issued by professionals and external consultants at all phases of the projects and ensure conformity with codes and University standards.
- Analyze pertinent information for the development of projects by researching best practices in mechanical engineering. Contribute to updating the University’s mechanical standards and specifications and technical programs such as the implementation of sustainable design. Propose solutions for improving or optimizing processes and procedures.
- Coordinate and certify mechanical drawings and specifications for renovation. Act as primary consultant and follow construction as required by the professional responsibility and liability requirements.
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical or building engineering and four to seven years of job-related experience as an engineer including experience working on projects involving diverse stakeholders.
- Permit holding member in good standing of the Ordre des Ingénieurs du Québec (OIQ) or another equivalent professional association. Certification from the Project Management Institute (PMP) and/or Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) an asset.
- Demonstrated knowledge of building codes, construction practices, laws and procedures. Experience with institutional educational projects highly desirable.
- Track record elaborating mechanical projects, preparing feasibility studies and business plans and strong construction knowledge.
- Good knowledge (Level 4) of written English and French in order to write reports and respond with sensitivity to queries. Very good knowledge (Level 5) of spoken English and French in order to communicate with the general public.
- Basic knowledge of Word (to format documents), and PowerPoint (to build presentations using a template). Good knowledge (Intermediate level) of Excel (to create spreadsheets and prepare financial calculations).
- Experience using MS Project, E-mail, and the Internet and solid knowledge of the latest version of AutoCAD. Knowledge of the Building information modeling process (BIM) an asset.
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Customer oriented with the ability to anticipate potential problems and address them proactively.
- Strong business acumen, excellent judgment and negotiation skills.
- Good organizational skills, including the ability to maintain organization in a changing environment, multi-task and establish priorities.
- Carte d’attestation de Santé et Sécurité générale sur les chantiers de construction an asset.
$76,893 - $91,895 per annum
Interested applicants must submit a curriculum vitae with a covering letter by March 8, 2019. Please click on the How to Apply button below for further instructions.
IMPORTANT: The language and computer skills of short-listed candidates will be tested.
Concordia University is committed to Employment Equity and encourages applications from women, Aboriginal Peoples, visible minorities, ethnic minorities, and persons with disabilities.
- Working at Concordia
- Current opportunities
- Employment equity
- Immigration guide for faculty
- Current opportunities