Candidates will receive an email confirmation when submitting their application online. However, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. Please allow one (1) working day from the time you send in your application to receive an email confirmation.
ASSISTANT TO THE CHAIR (P1839)
Deadline: May 9, 2019
This posting represents a temporary leave replacement effective until April 1, 2020.
Reporting to the Department Administrator, the incumbent acts as a resource person in the Chair’s Office, providing academic and administrative information to staff, faculty, students and units both inside and outside Concordia University.
- Ensure that the Chair’s office runs smoothly by screening, processing and directing incoming mail (including e-mail), phone or in-person enquiries from students, faculty and others; compose routine correspondence for the Chair and Department Administrator and maintain the Chair’s agenda and make travel arrangements for the Chair’s Office.
- Responsible for booking departmental conference rooms and classrooms.
- Ensure that administrative deadlines and procedures are met as outlined in the Concordia University Faculty Association (CUFA), Concordia University Part-Time Faculty Association (CUPFA) and Teaching and Research Assistants at Concordia (TRAC) collective agreements in accordance with the Critical Path provided by the Dean's Office.
- Support the Departmental Personnel Committee and Tenure Committee with secretarial assistance in the renewal of contracts, leaves, retirements, tenure etc.
- Schedule Space, Advisory and Part-Time Faculty Hiring Committee meetings. Schedule workload appointments with the full-time faculty and coordinate preparations for departmental and committee meetings and take minutes.
- Organize faculty recruitment activities for Limited-Term Appointments (LTA), Extended Term Appointments (ETA) and Tenure Stream positions by collecting, compiling and acknowledging documents for dossiers. Prepare and send out appropriate correspondence, contact short-listed candidates and arrange interview schedules and travel arrangements.
- Assist in the organization of the departmental colloquium series by arranging travel arrangements and processing paperwork to ensure reimbursement of expenses for guest speakers.
- Receive and process applications from students for travel requests; review claims and amend as appropriate before forwarding for approval.
- Prepare and process honoraria for INPSYCH workshops, Canadian Psychological Association (CPA) awards for presentation and Psychology Undergraduate Research Event (PURE) awards and cash prizes.
- In conjunction with the Chair and Departmental Administrator, prepare Teaching Assistants (TA) contracts through Faculty Resource Information System (FRIS) and maintain close contact with Payroll to sort out problems and issues related to payment of teaching assistants. Ensure TRAC membership forms are submitted and processed according to Union deadlines.
- Prepare work orders and follows up on departmental construction, repair, IITS, Security and space requirements.
- Act as the contact person for key requests, access cards, parking passes and serve as telephone coordinator for the department including all research laboratories. Liaise with internal departments including IITS, Financial Services, Facilities Management, Payroll and Campus Retail Stores.
- Perform other duties in support of the unit including maintaining departmental web site.
- Diploma of Collegial Studies (3 year technical DEC) with two to four years of related work experience working in a University academic department.
- Advanced knowledge of Concordia University's academic policies and procedures, particularly as they apply to Arts and Science and/or prior experience working with faculty collective agreements desirable.
- Ability to take and transcribe minutes.
- Good knowledge (Intermediate level) of Word, Excel, and Outlook; at ease and curious about new software applications.
- Good knowledge (Level 4) of written and spoken English; basic knowledge (Level 3) of spoken French.
- Proven decision-making, organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- Attention to detail, and the ability to work autonomously.
- Ability to multitask and prioritize in a busy, diverse, client oriented office environment.
- Knowledge of Millennium, Student Information System (SIS) and Faculty Resource Information System (FRIS) desirable.
- Basic knowledge of laboratory and clinical procedures and policies an asset.
*Please note this is a Pay Equity designated position PE160-14A and that the associated salary range is $29.12 - $35.01 per hour.
Interested applicants must submit a curriculum vitae with a covering letter by May 9, 2019. Please click on the How to Apply button below for further instructions.
IMPORTANT: The language and computer skills of short-listed candidates will be tested.
Concordia University is committed to Employment Equity and encourages applications from women, Aboriginal Peoples, visible minorities, ethnic minorities, and persons with disabilities.
- Working at Concordia
- Current opportunities
- Employment equity
- Immigration guide for faculty
- Current opportunities