Candidates will receive an email confirmation when submitting their application online. However, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. Please allow one (1) working day from the time you send in your application to receive an email confirmation.
CONFERENCE SERVICES, HOSPITALITY CONCORDIA
EVENT COORDINATOR (P4548A)
Deadline: May 8, 2019
Reporting to the Manager, Conference Services, the incumbent oversees the planning and execution of clients’ needs by acting as a liaison between them and a wide variety of services (internal/external) in order to successfully promote events at Concordia. He/she provides solutions to better meet client and departmental needs in line with departmental strategic goals.
- Oversee event management planning of a multitude of event types such as: academic and non-academic related for Faculty/Staff; campus life activities for Students; Corporate, Conferences, and social activities for external members; support Faculties in outreach programs for academic conferences to be promoted and hosted by Concordia University.
- Meet with clients and provide information on event related matters, protocols and policies; advise on government regulations to ensure University image is upheld; propose concepts, locations, direction and presentation in accordance with the client’s budget, timeframe and objectives.
- Responsible for document management: handle contracts for external clients; ensure adequate liability insurance coverage, and that Concordia terms and conditions are addressed; obtain necessary permits in accordance with government agency regulations; ensure that all necessary waivers to perform event-related activities were approved during registration process; upon closure of event dossier, evaluate results and draft post-mortem reports; ensure that all financial and event-related documents have been dealt with.
- Provide a one-stop-shop for client events by planning and overseeing all logistical matters; liaise with internal and external suppliers such as Facilities, Caterers, IITS, Decorations, Equipment rentals, Régie des alcools, Entertainment, special needs, and signage; recommend an array of activities and suitable solutions to best meet client needs. Manage event budget and centralize all event-related charges for the client.
- Monitor event activities in order to ensure compliance with applicable regulations and laws, satisfaction of participants; identify potential risks and resolution of any problems that arise, in collaboration with the Security Office, Environmental Health and Safety, and University’s Insurance/Liability Specialist.
- Contribute to the implementation of the departmental goals, strategies and special project assignments within Hospitality Concordia; handle tasks/projects accordingly.
- Partake in further development and continuous improvements of departmental processes; recommend improvements to increase efficiencies and customer satisfaction; takes proper follow up action.
- Be present onsite prior to event to supervise the execution of services rendered by suppliers, and during the event to provide assistance to client, as well as problem solve to ensure successful proceedings.
- Responsible for casual support staff: provide direction and training; evaluate performance, assign and schedule duties; ensure their worked hours are submitted in a timely manner to the Manager.
- Diploma of Collegial Studies (3 year technical DEC) in Business Administration and Tourism desirable and four to seven years of related experience in the Hospitality/Tourism Industry, with a focus on Event Planning (at least four years); two to four years’ experience in planning large scale international conferences.
- Experience in business development and knowledge of University environment and event-related policies are assets.
- Experience in building and maintaining relationships with key clients; preparation of client proposals and contracts and contract negotiation; budget management.
- Extensive knowledge of external vendors, hotels and simultaneous translation services; knowledge of Event Management System (EMS) and Meeting Matrix; high comfort level with social media.
- Good knowledge (Level 4) of spoken and written English and French to communicate effectively with internal and external parties.
- Good knowledge (Intermediate level) of Word, Excel (to create and update documents and spreadsheets); ability to work with Microsoft Outlook.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication skills and fostering relationships with suppliers; excellent organizational and planning skills with the ability to multi-task and establish priorities and meet deadlines; ability to work with minimal supervision autonomously and also as part of a team.
- Ability to work flexible hours (early mornings, nights and weekends), as required.
$28.76 – $34.63 per hour
Interested applicants must submit a curriculum vitae with a covering letter by May 8, 2019. Please click on the How to Apply button below for further instructions.
IMPORTANT: The language and computer skills of short-listed candidates will be tested.
Concordia University is committed to Employment Equity and encourages applications from women, Aboriginal Peoples, visible minorities, ethnic minorities, and persons with disabilities.
- Working at Concordia
- Current opportunities
- Employment equity
- Immigration guide for faculty
- Current opportunities