Candidates will receive an email confirmation when submitting their application online. However, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. Please allow one (1) working day from the time you send in your application to receive an email confirmation.
STUDENT SUCCESS CENTRE
LEARNING SPECIALIST (P4511A)
Deadline: October 23, 2019
This position represents a temporary part-time replacement effective until June 5, 2020. 17.5 hours work schedule: Tuesday, Thursday and an alternating day between Wednesday and Friday.
Reporting to the Manager, Student Learning Services, the incumbent develops and enhances the learning skills of Concordia students by offering individual assistance, group workshops and peer tutoring programs in discipline-specific areas.
- Assess students by identifying math and problem solving difficulties or challenges and assist them in developing academic learning strategies.
- Recruit, hire, train and supervise peer tutors and assistants.
- Refer students to counsellors/psychologists and other professionals when non-learning issues impede students learning and accept referrals from other professional staff when appropriate.
- Design and conduct group workshops to teach students effective learning skills.
- Write and develop appropriate materials for hand-outs, workshops, and training programs.
- Propose, initiate and publicize new programs to improve student learning.
- Perform other duties in support of the operation of the unit.
- Master’s Degree in Education or related field with specialization in Math, Science, Computer Science, and/or Engineering and four to seven years teaching experience at college or university level.
- Prior experience in a learning-center environment.
- Good knowledge (Level 4) of spoken and written English in order to effectively communicate with students; basic knowledge (Level 3) of spoken French to respond to general questions and inquiries.
- Good knowledge (Intermediate Level) of Word, Excel and PowerPoint. (to work with documents, spreadsheets and to prepare presentations)
- Knowledge of learning needs and strategies as well as study skills appropriate for Math/Science/Engineering students.
- Excellent interpersonal, leadership, communication and presentation skills with the ability to deal sensitively with individuals.
- Ability to multitask and work under pressure with minimal supervision.
- Aptitude to work in a service-oriented environment as both a member of a team and independently.
$77,656.44 - $92,767.63 per annum (to be prorated to hours worked)
Interested applicants must submit a curriculum vitae with a covering letter by October 23, 2019. Please click on the How to Apply button below for further instructions.
IMPORTANT: The language and computer skills of short-listed candidates will be tested.
Concordia University is committed to Employment Equity and encourages applications from women, Aboriginal Peoples, visible minorities, ethnic minorities, and persons with disabilities.
- Working at Concordia
- Current opportunities
- Employment equity
- Immigration guide for faculty
- Current opportunities