Candidates will receive an email confirmation when submitting their application online. However, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. Please allow one (1) working day from the time you send in your application to receive an email confirmation.
ADVANCEMENT AND ALUMNI RELATIONS
ASSOCIATE VICE-PRESIDENT, DEVELOPMENT (C1478)
Deadline: May 26, 2014
This is a contract appointment.
Reporting to the Vice-President, Development and External Relations and Secretary-General, and working in collaboration with faculties and the leadership team, the new incumbent will play a critical role in fostering and enhancing relationships with a wide variety of stakeholders and supporters within and outside the University to increase fundraising results.
- Direct the fundraising initiatives for all Development revenue streams including Principal Gifts, Annual Giving and Planned Giving in a largely decentralized development structure.
- Provide counsel and expertise to the University administration for both Faculty-specific and University-wide fundraising projects and priorities.
- Lead overall strategy and operational management of the Development Unit and in due course, the implementation of plans for Concordia’s next comprehensive campaign.
- Create and implement multi-year strategic and integrated fundraising plans for the Faculties based on analysis and sector knowledge, and in consultation with the Vice-President, Development & External Relations & Secretary General (VP), the Faculties, and working with the development team.
- Develop an integrated and prioritized set of fundraising goals and initiatives for approval by the VP and communicate approved priorities to all those involved in fundraising.
- Based on approved priorities, policies and procedures, oversee cultivation and solicitation strategies across the portfolios.
- Direct a professional team of eight senior staff and oversee the recruitment, performance management and professional development of the total unit of 26, and growing. Provide coaching and mentorship to motivate, lead and engage team members to work collaboratively and to apply best practices in programs and activities.
- Develop program and staff performance goals in consultation with direct reports; utilize metrics and other performance indicators to monitor progress towards meeting goals.
- Provide direction and guidance in donor engagement to enhance donor relationships and maximize fundraising results.
- Develop and monitor budgets and ensure that programs are appropriately resourced to meet goals.
- Consult with and advise the VP on current trends related to advancement and to the University’s fundraising plans and programs.
- Collaborate with Alumni Affairs and Events, Advancement Services, and Communications to ensure coordination and supports are effective in meeting donor engagement, stewardship and fundraising goals.
- Manage a small portfolio of principal gift prospects and donors.
- Build the volunteer structure for the next comprehensive campaign and participate in the identification, recruitment, training, management and stewardship of volunteers.
- Serve as an active member of the Senior Management Committee.
- Represent the University at events, conferences and other activities as needed. Assume other responsibilities as delegated by the VP.
- Proven fundraising leadership experience within a complex organization (preferably an academic environment), with demonstrated success in the areas of Principal Gifts, Planned Giving, Annual Giving and Comprehensive Campaigns.
- A deep knowledge of fundraising principles and processes and demonstrated experience in developing and implementing multi-faceted fundraising plans.
- Demonstrated ability to close major gifts.
- Excellent strategic planning, organizational, management and leadership skills.
- Superior interpersonal skills to motivate and engage stakeholders both internally and externally. Able to connect and maintain a broad range of relationships and to inspire staff and colleagues to work collaboratively in achieving goals.
- Strong analytical and technical skills, with an understanding of data-management systems and fundraising processes and the essential role they play in achieving success.
- Comfortable and effective in sharing knowledge and expertise with the Faculties, senior administrators, and the Development team in a collaborative and proactive manner.
- Experience in operational management and leading a large staff team. Demonstrated ability to attract, retain, mentor, motivate and lead a professional team to achieve common goals and objectives.
- Effective senior volunteer management experience.
- Demonstrated expertise in change management to break down silos and encourage team work, collaboration and communications within the Development unit and in working with Faculties.
- Proven ability to work with a diverse population; a high degree of personal integrity, diplomacy and tact are necessary.
- Familiarity with current issues, trends and challenges facing Quebec and Canadian post-secondary education as well as in-depth and current knowledge of the philanthropic environment.
- Excellent English written and verbal skills; articulate and effective communicating, at ease with public presentations and with a proven ability to relate to diverse groups of people at all levels.
- French verbal skills are required; French written skills will be considered a strong asset.
- An Undergraduate degree is required for this position.
- Interested candidates are invited to contact Sylvie Battisti, Senior Search Consultant by email at: ConcordiaAVP@KCIphilanthropy.com or by telephone at: (438) 820-3496.
- All inquiries will be kept in strict confidence. Candidates who wish to apply for this position should ensure that a resume and letter of interest are sent to the above email address by May 26, 2014.
Interested applicants must submit a curriculum vitae with a covering letter by May 26, 2014, to:Elvira Fiorentino
Department of Human Resources
1455, boul. de Maisonneuve O.
Montréal (Québec) H3G 1M8
Fax: (514) 848-2844
External Candidates - firstname.lastname@example.org
Internal Candidates - email@example.com
(please enter your Employee ID number in the subject line)
IMPORTANT: The language and computer skills of short-listed candidates will be tested.
Concordia University is committed to Employment Equity and encourages applications from women, Aboriginal Peoples, visible minorities, ethnic minorities, and persons with disabilities.