Equity and diversity
The Advisory Committee on Equity and Diversity is formed of faculty and students and is tasked with addressing issues of equity and diversity in the Department, including, but not limited to, gender, sexuality, race, class, ability, and age.
The Committee’s mandate is as follows:
- To ensure that students and faculty are sensitized to inequities within the Department and in established theatre practices in the larger community.
- To provide the Department with learning opportunities; to open conversation about these issues, and to ensure communication.
- To provide members of the Department and others with opportunities to better understand the roadblocks to full participation, and to develop strategies for personal and systemic change.
- To consider and recommend possible solutions pertaining to the representation of ethnic minorities in our Department, in our curriculum, in our productions, and in the profession of theatre more generally.
- To consider and recommend possible solutions towards equity for female students in the Department, in classrooms and on productions.
- To consider and recommend possible solutions to situations where issues related to gender, sexuality, race, class, ability, and age are encountered in classrooms, in productions, and in relations with other students and with faculty.
- To provide a forum for consultation where both students and faculty can bring forward concerns about inequities. To consider these and make recommendations on a case-by-case basis.
- To build a resource base for academics and practitioners who wish to incorporate values and ethics of diversity and pluralism in their work.
Committee members include Faculty and Student delegates, who serve for year-long terms. The committee for the 2016-2017 academic year is:
- Professor Edward Little, Department Chair
- Artist in Residence Shauna Janssen, Committee Chair
- Senior Lecturer Raymond Marius Boucher, Committee Secretary
- Assitant Professor Ursula Neuerburg-Denzer
- Assistant Professor Luis Sotelo Castro
- Rachael Van Fossen, Part Time Faculty Representative
- Kate Stockburger, Student Representative
- Mayala-Kali Elter, Student Representative
The Committee has prepared a guide to help students resolve issues related to the Committee’s mandate. You can download the guide here or find it in performance and design studios, the Department office, or the C.A.S.T. office.
Students with questions related to the committee or the guide may contact the student delegates by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.