Equity and diversity
The Advisory Committee on Equity and Diversity is formed of faculty and students and is tasked with addressing issues of equity and diversity in the Department, including, but not limited to, race, gender, sexuality, class, ability, and age.
In the 2017-18 season, the committee will conduct a “Diversity Check-Up” survey with the student population and faculty. Stay tuned for information about this study in the Winter 2018.
The Committee’s mandate is as follows:
- To ensure that students and faculty are sensitized to inequities within the Department and in established theatre practices in the larger community.
- To provide the Department with learning opportunities; to open conversation about these issues, and to ensure communication.
- To provide members of the Department and others with opportunities to better understand the roadblocks to full participation, and to develop strategies for personal and systemic change.
- To consider and recommend possible solutions pertaining to the representation of ethnic minorities in our Department, in our curriculum, in our productions, and in the profession of theatre more generally.
- To consider and recommend possible solutions towards equity for female students in the Department, in classrooms and on productions.
- To consider and recommend possible solutions to situations where issues related to gender, sexuality, race, class, ability, and age are encountered in classrooms, in productions, and in relations with other students and with faculty.
- To provide a forum for consultation where both students and faculty can bring forward concerns about inequities. To consider these and make recommendations on a case-by-case basis.
- To build a resource base for academics and practitioners who wish to incorporate values and ethics of diversity and pluralism in their work.
Committee members include Faculty and Student delegates, who serve for year-long terms. The committee for the 2017-2018 academic year is:
- Artist in Residence Diane Roberts, Committee Co-Chair
- Assistant Professor Jessica Carmichael, Committee Co-Chair
- Senior Lecturer, Acting Department Chair Raymond Marius Boucher
- Rachael Van Fossen, Part Time Faculty Representative
- Alessandra Tom, Student Representative
- Cleopatra Boudreau, Student Representative
The Committee has prepared a guide to help students resolve issues related to the Committee’s mandate. You can download the guide here or find it in performance and design studios, the Department office, or the C.A.S.T. office.
Students with questions related to the committee or the guide may contact the committee by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.