Equity and diversity
The Advisory Committee on Equity and Diversity is formed of faculty and students and is tasked with addressing issues of equity and diversity in the Department, including, but not limited to, race, gender, sexuality, class, ability, and age.
The Committee’s mandate is as follows:
- To ensure that students and faculty are made aware to inequities within the Department and in the larger theatrical community, and have made conversation available to find steps to solve said issues.
- To provide the Department with learning opportunities: to open conversation about issues of equity and diversity.
- To provide members of the Department and others with opportunities to better develop strategies for personal and systemic change.
- To consider and recommend possible solutions pertaining to diversity in our Department, in our curriculum, in our productions, and in the profession of theatre more generally.
- To consider and recommend possible solutions towards equity for female students in the Department, in classrooms and on productions.
- To consider and recommend possible solutions to situations where issues related to gender, sexuality, race, class, ability, and age are encountered in classrooms, in productions, and in relations with other students and with faculty.
- To provide a forum opportunities as needed for consultation where both students and faculty can bring forward concerns about inequities.
- To consider grievances and make recommendations on a case-by-case basis.
- To build a resource base for academics and practitioners who wish to incorporate values and ethics of diversity and pluralism in their work.
Committee members include Faculty and Student delegates, who serve for year-long terms. The committee for the 2018-2019 academic year is:
- Assistant Professor Jessica Carmichael, Committee Co-Chair
- Artist in Residence Jean Frédéric Messier, Committee Co-Chair
- Department Chair, Professor Ursula Neuerburg-Denzer
- Rachael Van Fossen, Part Time Faculty Representative
- Sara Jarvie-Clarke, Student Representative
- Alessandra Tom, Student Representative
The Committee has prepared a guide to help students resolve issues related to the Committee’s mandate. You can download the guide here or find it in performance and design studios, the Department office, or the C.A.S.T. office.
Students with questions related to the committee or the guide may contact the committee by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.