Faculty of Fine Arts
Department of Design and
514-848-2424, ext. 4626
Program admission requirements
Applicants must submit the portfolio directly to the Department of Design & Computation Arts and upload all documents to the application:
- portfolio (maximum of 15 creative works)
- letter of intent
- photocopy of most recent academic record(s)
- letter of reference (optional)*
- resumé/curriculum vitae (optional)*
Your portfolio and letter of intent must be uploaded to the Design and Computation Arts website and click on the “Upload Portfolio” button. The portfolio must NOT be uploaded to the Admissions Application Centre. If you are applying to both programs (Design – Major and one of the Computation Arts programs), you must provide one portfolio with a maximum of 15 creative works and an individual letter of intent for each program.
Portfolio Submission Deadline: March 1
Applicants to Computation Arts are expected to submit a maximum of 15 creative works from two or more of the five categories listed below. An ideal portfolio would include a diverse range of projects, mediums and interests. Applicants who cannot submit a range of work should address this in their letter of intent to show their enthusiasm, motivation and potential for success in our programs.
Please note: Applicants to the Major Computation Arts with Computer Applications may wish to concentrate their portfolios on programming (Category 5) below:
- Visual Communication: Still images, illustration, graphic design, collage, book work, packaging, print media, typography, photography, moving images, animation, video.
- Multi Media/Digital Media: Web design, 3D modelling, sound, programming, social media projects, programming or scripting, electronics.
- Built Environment: Furniture, objects, maquettes, technical drawing, clothing, textile design, sculpture, ceramics, jewelry, arts and crafts, exhibition, display and installation.
- Design or Media Studies or Sustainability: Collaborative projects, history/theory essays, sustainable research, community work, nature inspired/biomimicry or solar/wind power projects.
- Programming: Coding, data visualization, scripting, interactive or game design, robotics, hardware, software or other technical skills.
The letter of intent must:
- An individual Letter of Intent which must indicate the program for which you are applying.
- One page in length (500 words), written in English or French with attention to grammar, punctuation and quality of writing.
- Explain your reasons for applying to the program and summarize your intersets, goals, and if relevant prior studio/academic/work experience, goals.
- Summarize your level of technical or software skills, image and object making, education/experience. Include areas of strength and areas where you do not have prior experience.
- Visit our website and summarize your understanding of the program to which you are applying.
The Letter of Intent should be uploaded to the online application AND included with the portfolio upload.
These should include, where applicable, high school, community college, Cegep and university transcripts. This is a student copy of the transcript(s), not the official copy sent to the Application Centre.
Document should be uploaded to the online application AND should be included with the portfolio.
Applicants may include letters of reference from teachers and/or employers. Students who have taken courses within the Department of Design and Computation Arts prior to this application should request letters of reference from their instructor(s).