Submission Deadline: March 1
Open to ALL Concordia and McGill University students!
The Institute for Urban Futures is hosting a photography competition for work to be included in a public exhibition as part of TeamMTL’s entry in the 2018 Solar Decathlon in Dezhou, China, this summer. TeamMTL is comprised of students from Concordia and McGill Universities who have designed and built a Net Zero Energy solar-powered prototype townhouse called the “Deep Performance Dwelling,” Canada’s sole entry in this international competition. Over one million visitors are expected for the Solar Decathlon expo. To learn more, visit www.teammtl.ca.
We are calling for photographs by Concordia and McGill students that express the unique qualities of the city of Montreal in order to represent the vital urban context for the Deep Performance Dwelling, and how it responds to concerns for environmental, social and cultural sustainability.
Photographs selected for the exhibition will be professionally printed, framed, and shipped and installed by TeamMTL!
Honorarium: $50 per artist
Photos should express the following subjects and themes:
- Cultural sustainability, alongside social and environmental sustainable practices
- The urban residential fabric of Montreal, showing typical and historic urban neighbourhoods and their life, particularly townhouse architecture related to the design of the Deep Performance Dwelling
- The characteristic urban fabric of Montreal, showing the integration of buildings and spaces within it, and the richness of life of the city
- The unique seasonal qualities of the city, and of the climate of southern Quebec
- Aspects of multicultural urban life in Montreal, including multigenerational living and households
- Open to all currently enrolled students at Concordia and McGill Universities.
- 5 entries maximum per entrant
- Images to be TIFF files at 150 pixels per inch (NOTE: winning images will be submitted as TIFF files at full resolution for printing, at min. 300 pixels per inch). Title image files as follows: “image number_entrant’s last name.tiff” (example: 1_Swanson.tiff). In the body of the email, include a list of numbered entry images with file names, titles, date and place taken. Indicate your full name, academic major and university, and contact phone number.
- Submit all entries in single email message (max. 20MB) with subject “Urban Futures Photography Competition” to firstname.lastname@example.org. Winning entrants will be notified by email.
Deadline: March 1, 2018
Competition entrants will retain all “moral” rights to their images, and agree to grant TeamMTL and the Institute for Urban Futures permission to print them, and exhibit them physically and online. Printed images will remain the property of TeamMTL.
For any questions, please contact Avery Zhao-Djokic, Institute for Urban Futures, at email@example.com.
History and Mission of the International Solar Decathlon:
Originally launched by the US Department of Energy (DOE) in 2002, the International Solar Decathlon Competition is a green energy building competition involving participants from universities all over the world. The 2018 competition will be held in Dezhou – the sun city of China.
Each team must design and build a two-story, Net Zero Energy-capable, solar-powered house with a floor area of 120-200 m2 (1290-2150 ft2). Every house must be fully equipped with all necessary household appliances and provide for a household electric vehicle. The jury will evaluate the house’s cost feasibility, power efficiency, environment adaptability, power generation capacity, and architectural quality. Final judging is determined by a total of ten contests (5 measured, 5 juried).